PedalPCB Sunflower Fuzz - Wiring Q

Started by zachlovescoffee, October 15, 2021, 04:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachlovescoffee

Howdy!

I think I've got the wiring correct on this pedal but before I plug it in and possibly blow something up I was wondering if ya'll wouldn't mind just giving it spot check? I'm mostly concerned about the stomp switch and DC jack wiring and the 1/4 input jacks. Everything else I'm pretty confident on.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/Sunflower.pdf

antonis

Supposing SW on PCB is designated for LED cathode, everything is OK.. :icon_wink:
(except PCB OUT grounded when bypassed..)

P.S.
Both IN & OUT are grounded via Clean & Volume pot respectively, so you don't even need grounding for input..
(little blue wire on 3PDT switch..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

zachlovescoffee

Quote from: antonis on October 15, 2021, 05:04:22 PM
Supposing SW on PCB is designated for LED cathode, everything is OK.. :icon_wink:
(except PCB OUT grounded when bypassed..)

P.S.
Both IN & OUT are grounded via Clean & Volume pot respectively, so you don't even need grounding for input..
(little blue wire on 3PDT switch..)

Hi Antonis thanks for the reply! I posted the schematic and wiring diagram. I'm kind of new to pedal building so not everything you said I understood.

fowl

No the DC jack is wrong.  But it will work anyway since you're not using a battery.

Also, I'm not seeing how board ground connects to jack ground or enclosure.

zachlovescoffee

Quote from: fowl on October 16, 2021, 03:03:22 AM
No the DC jack is wrong.  But it will work anyway since you're not using a battery.

Also, I'm not seeing how board ground connects to jack ground or enclosure.

Black wire goes to the central lug on the DC jack and the white wire is positive. They go through the 3PDT switch to the board at the bottom (4 pairs of wires, blue/white/yel/blk)

zachlovescoffee

Here's a hopefully better photo of the completed wired pedal. I have to replace the switch, I must have broken it. So I have to re-do the switch wiring. But please, check out the in/out plugs and DC power to see if it looks good now.

LED and pots I'm confident on. But in/out plugs, switch and DC jack I'm concerned about. Thank you folks! This is my first pedal build.

duck_arse

it looks to me as tho you have connected the sleeve of both jacks to the footswitch, for to bypass them/it, and the jack tips are both hard wired to the board. this won't work as you think it might.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

zachlovescoffee

Quote from: duck_arse on October 16, 2021, 09:53:22 AM
it looks to me as tho you have connected the sleeve of both jacks to the footswitch, for to bypass them/it, and the jack tips are both hard wired to the board. this won't work as you think it might.

Hmmm. That's how the wiring diagram showed them to be wired. Should the sleeve be wired to ground and the tip to the switch? I'm confused :)

fowl

Quote from: fowl on October 16, 2021, 03:03:22 AM
But it will work anyway since you're not using a battery.

I'm less certain of this than I was when I typed it.  Best to move your + wire to the other lug either way.

antonis

Quote from: zachlovescoffee on October 16, 2021, 10:39:39 AM
Should the sleeve be wired to ground and the tip to the switch?

Definately, yes.. :icon_wink:
(but, as far as it concerns to mono jack, I'm sure you've wired tip and not sleeve..)

But maybe Stephen, as a much younger guy, has more sharp eye.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

well here's what I see. the white wire is connected to the tip lug of this jack, and disappears under the board. if connected directly to the board, it won't be switched by the bypass switch.

in this, the green wire is connected to the sleeve lug, and then to the footswitch where signal ought to be. the tip lug has been soldered, but if there is still a wire, it is invisible. the white wire is connected to the switched contact lug, which is of little use in this application, as when a plug is inserted, the switch goes open circuit. actually, without the jack in my hand, I think that bit is wrong - the switching finger would be opposite its lug, surely. so ignore those 2 arrows on the dia, but the green wire still wrong.

or - argue me something more conclusive, please.

antonis

I'm not sure about exactly which photo we're talking about..

duck_arse

Quote from: zachlovescoffee on October 16, 2021, 09:43:40 AM
Here's a hopefully better photo of the completed wired pedal. I have to replace the switch, I must have broken it. So I have to re-do the switch wiring. But please, check out the in/out plugs and DC power to see if it looks good now.

LED and pots I'm confident on. But in/out plugs, switch and DC jack I'm concerned about. Thank you folks! This is my first pedal build.

MY EYES! this izz de post I wuz lookin at.

antonis

So let's drink a beer - cider till OP decides for the particular wiring.. :icon_wink:

zachlovescoffee

Quote from: antonis on October 18, 2021, 03:01:08 PM
So let's drink a beer - cider till OP decides for the particular wiring.. :icon_wink:

Howdy! Sorry for the delay. I'm waiting for a new order of 3PDT switches to arrive because I broke the one in the current wiring and I ordered some new Switchcraft jacks too. I'll post an updated wiring photo based on your feedback and some other learnings I've made. In the mean time, I built an AionFX Rift (Vox super fuzz) over the weekend and it sounds lovely. I just really want to get this Sun Face going to compare and see which I love best. I don't use a lot of fuzz but I'm finding some good "clean" fuzz tones that I like for simple lead licks.

Will reply back soon! Thank you for your support and patience!

zachlovescoffee

Hello! I have re-wired the mono switches and the 3PDT. When I tried to fire it up -- nada. Nothing. Zilch. No LED, nothing. The signal passes through the box to the amp when I switch it on or off. I followed the wiring diagram from Pedal PCB to a T but I'm at a loss. https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/Sunflower.pdf

Here is an updated photo of the wiring. I hope it helps.

fowl

Again, you need to move the white wire on your DC jack to the unused lug.  I can't see everything in your pics, but it looks like you have sleeve and tip reversed on your output jack, at least.  I think the footswitch is also wired incorrectly, but like I said, I can't see everything.

zachlovescoffee

Quote from: fowl on October 20, 2021, 02:00:04 PM
Again, you need to move the white wire on your DC jack to the unused lug.  I can't see everything in your pics, but it looks like you have sleeve and tip reversed on your output jack, at least.  I think the footswitch is also wired incorrectly, but like I said, I can't see everything.

I'll check out the DC jack again. There are three lugs. The L-lug is the negative by my research and the two other lugs I was under the belief that it didn't matter which one you used.

The mono switches are giving me trouble b/c the wiring diagram shows a PCB mounted switch and I have regular switches. Also, the 3PDT is wired exactly as in the wiring diagram. So if you look at the wiring diagram you can see exactly how it's wired.

fowl

Quote from: zachlovescoffee on October 20, 2021, 07:58:18 PM
I'll check out the DC jack again. There are three lugs. The L-lug is the negative by my research and the two other lugs I was under the belief that it didn't matter which one you used.

I made an error in my first post above, when I said it should still work.  Yes, the big L lug is negative (center pin).  But that middle one you used for positive gets disconnected when you insert a plug, normally that cuts off the battery.  So as it is, you're getting no power to your board.

QuoteThe mono switches are giving me trouble b/c the wiring diagram shows a PCB mounted switch and I have regular switches.

Jacks, you mean.  But just look at them, what solder lug is connected to what contact, and what part of a mono plug that will touch when inserted.

fowl

Quote from: zachlovescoffee on October 20, 2021, 07:58:18 PM
Also, the 3PDT is wired exactly as in the wiring diagram. So if you look at the wiring diagram you can see exactly how it's wired.

Okay, you do seem to have that part correct.  I got confused by the twisted wires in the picture I was looking at, my bad.

Also, I assume you're putting an output cap in the sockets for listening tests...?