help with danelectro fish and chips power jack replacement

Started by snow123, October 15, 2021, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

after a bit of use, the power jack of my danelectro fish and chips broke, and at first i thought it used a regular pcb mount power jack, NOPE! this weird proprietary power jack
that has a completely different pinout to a regular pcb mount power jack. so does anyone know of any higher quality replacements?

anotherjim

That's a nasty jack.
No, I don't know any the same but better.
If it was mine, I'd find space to fit an ordinary panel-mount jack and wire it to the PCB pads. If the PCB is single-sided and it relies on the solder to hold it, it's certain to fail, no matter how well made. A double-sided board with thru-plated holes can be reliable as the pins are locked by solder all around.

fowl

I tried to find a 1/4" (phone) jack for one of those Danos, no way.  I think they meant for them to be disposable.  Or re-boxed at least.

snow123

update: i just fixed it by wiring a regular power jack to it!

ElectricDruid

Quote from: snow123 on October 16, 2021, 02:24:43 PM
update: i just fixed it by wiring a regular power jack to it!

Good work!

I was going to say there's a lot that can be done with epoxy glue and any old power jack. I have a bag of cheap chinese eBay power jacks that I use for stripboard prototypes. They're nothing special (ok, they're sh!t..) but they do a decent job once epoxied to the stripboard. That takes care of the physical force of sticking plugs in and out, and then the wires I put on them only have to deal with the electrical contact. Which is entirely the point.

Someone somewhere (around here?) once told me "never use solder as glue" and it's advice that remains true and has served me well. Anything that does is going to fail sooner rather than later.

DIY Bass

At the very least I can see that jack design benefitting from a few extra pins that have no electrical connection but simply exist for mounting support.  As it is you would only get away with it if you mounted it permanently to a pedal board so you aren't plugging it in and out.