Troubleshooting Phase 45 build

Started by bex97, October 16, 2021, 04:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bex97

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum so please let me know if I get the etiquette wrong..

I've been trying to build a phase pedal for a while now, I think this is my second or third complete rebuild of this circuit. This time, I get clean signal through the pedal both on and bypassed, but no phase effect.

Here's all the relevant links:
Layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/07/mxr-phase-45.html
Kit: https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280_281&products_id=2044
Thread I posted on gearspace with a little info on what I've already tried and a few more pictures: https://gearspace.com/board/diy-electronic-build-refurbishment-photo-diaries/1362996-diy-pedal-troubleshooting.html

The JFETs supplied in the kit have a different pinout to the ones in the layout, hence the flipped orientation.
The trimmer is the second one I have tried. The plastic bit fell off but this is the closest one I had to 200K, the rest all measure around 170K. It still turns so hopefully this is still usable.

Voltages (tested with 9V battery):
Q1 (left)
D = 4.16
S = 4.16
G = 2.7-3.2V (fluctuates)

Q2 (right)
D= 4.16
S= 4.16
G= 2.7-3.1 (fluctuates)

IC1 (top)
1 1OUT = 0V
2 1IN- = 2.06V
3 1IN+ = 4.13V
4 VCC- = 0V
5 2IN+ = 4.13V
6 2IN- = 3.55V
7 2OUT = 7.10V
8 VCC+ = 7.90V

as noted in the the gearspace thread, when I remove pin 1 from the socket I get a voltage of 7.47V
The IC's were tested at a different time with a different battery, in case that makes a difference.

IC2 (bottom)
1 1OUT = 4.12V
2 1IN- = 4.13V
3 1IN+ = 3.93V
4 VCC- = 0V
5 2IN+ fluctuates between 3.7-4.1V
6 2IN- = 3.93V
7 2OUT fluctuates between 3.4-4.6V
8 VCC+ = 7.88V

D1
top = 0V
bottom (negative) = 4.16V

The read out on the diode seems like it should be the other way round to me, but I'm no expert. Should I try replacing this?

Thanks for reading,
Bex

aleks_tedstone

I had a very similar problem very recently! The nice folks here on the forum pointed me towards in the right direction. I found that my trimmer potentiometer had quite a narrow range in which it would bias the transistors correctly. It is quite noticeable when you find it, and almost completely clean up to that point.

Here's the thread:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=127844.msg1227760#msg1227760

And these are the voltages my JFETS were at the correct bias point, BUT note that your JFETs may have different hfe values, so use your ear.
D= 5.08V
S= 5.08V
G= osc between 3.47 and 3.75 V

Best of luck!

aleks_tedstone

PS your diode looks like it is oriented correctly, and the cathode (striped end) should indeed have a positive voltage on it in this case, as it is also a biased component. Hard to tell in your photo, but make sure it goes to pin 2 of the IC at the bottom of the photo.

bex97

Thanks Aleks!

I've tried very slowly going through the trimmer, sitting at 5.09V and at the same relative percentage of the battery voltage. No luck unfortunately.

I think the problem is probably rooted in that 0V output from pin 1 of IC1..
I've downloaded some software that should give me an estimate of voltages at each point, hopefully that will shed some light on things

aleks_tedstone

At least your IC's are socketed in case you need to switch out a TL072, but it could be as simple as a short that is grounding pin 1 of IC1. Check continuity between pin1 IC1 and ground, by having a good look for any possible solder bridges, and using the continuity setting on your multimeter if it has one.

Two of the op-amps in the ICs are part of all-pass filters in the circuit, so these need to be functioning correctly to create the right amount of phase shift. The other op-amps handle the LFO and the input buffer.

bex97

It works!!

I took the trimmer out and soldered sockets in to make it easier to swap them out, switched the trimpot out for a random untested one, and it worked as soon as I plugged it in. I'm not inclined to adjust anything or take measurements because that's one guaranteed way that I'll break it again lol. Perhap I just got really unlucky and had two or three bad trimmers back to back.

Thanks for all your time and help Aleks!