how can i make a boss ds-1 behave more like a fuzz pedal?

Started by snow123, November 09, 2021, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

hi, I have a boss ds-1 that I want to mod, and I want to make it behave more like a fuzz, is that possible? if so, how would I go about doing it?

snow123

Mark Hammer

Stick a booster of some kind before it.  I know it's not the ONLY thing that differentiates distortions and fuzzes, but one of the key elements of a fuzz is that the signal remains above the clipping threshold - hence it clips for a longer period - for a while.  So, providing a hotter input signal, in tandem with whatever gain the pedal provides, will accomplish that.  Now, whether the resulting tone is what you were aiming for is a whole other matter.

D8 is part of the switching circuit.

snow123

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 09, 2021, 07:02:23 PM
Stick a booster of some kind before it.  I know it's not the ONLY thing that differentiates distortions and fuzzes, but one of the key elements of a fuzz is that the signal remains above the clipping threshold - hence it clips for a longer period - for a while.  So, providing a hotter input signal, in tandem with whatever gain the pedal provides, will accomplish that.  Now, whether the resulting tone is what you were aiming for is a whole other matter.

D8 is part of the switching circuit.
ok, but what would i do to the circuit itself behave more like a fuzz?
and considering what you said about putting a booster in front of the pedal, could i do something with the transistor booster stage to get that effect?

idy

So here's an idea. See that 470k resistor in the feedback loop of the transistor booster stage? Put a pair of diodes in series with a cap there in parallel... make it a big muff stage. Crazy, but you asked for fuzz. Worth a try.

The muff has three parallel paths in the place.
470k R
100n-1uf cap in series with pair of diodes
470pf C

Look at a schematic. These values changed year to year. The bigger cap in series with the diodes allows bass to clip more.

But this is super easy to try. No mod to existing, just parallel components tack-soldered to that 470k.

snow123

update: i just replaced the 2 1n4148s with 1 1n60p and 1 green band 1n34a, and it gets FUZZY.

snow123

Quote from: idy on November 09, 2021, 08:08:58 PM
So here's an idea. See that 470k resistor in the feedback loop of the transistor booster stage? Put a pair of diodes in series with a cap there in parallel... make it a big muff stage. Crazy, but you asked for fuzz. Worth a try.

470k R
470pf C

Look at a schematic. These values changed year to year. The bigger cap in series with the diodes allows bass to clip more.

But this is super easy to try. No mod to existing, just parallel components tack-soldered to that 470k.
ooo thats a good idea, what diodes would you suggest using?

snow123

snow123

Quote from: idy on November 09, 2021, 08:08:58 PM

470k R
470pf C

just tried it with 2 leds and 1 220nf capacitor, and it removed all of the distortion.

Vivek

teemuk

I'm not sure which schematic / board revision you use as a reference but overall there's a distinct hi-pass filter introduced by the negative feedback circuit around the non-inverting opamp gain stage. The AC coupling capacitor in the "shunt" branch of the circuit (C8 in schematic I'm looking at but verify) limits low frequency gain. Try increasing it's value. e.g. from 1uF to 10 uF.

The circuit should now have more of that characteristic "fuzz" of low frequencies distorting.

I disagree on that fuzz would be an effect created by increased sustain. Distortion circuits have it a plenty and do not have "fuzzy" tone and there are also examples of clearly "fuzzy" distortion tones with very short sustain characteristics.

snow123

Quote from: teemuk on November 10, 2021, 03:59:02 AM
I'm not sure which schematic / board revision you use as a reference but overall there's a distinct hi-pass filter introduced by the negative feedback circuit around the non-inverting opamp gain stage. The AC coupling capacitor in the "shunt" branch of the circuit (C8 in schematic I'm looking at but verify) limits low frequency gain. Try increasing it's value. e.g. from 1uF to 10 uF.

The circuit should now have more of that characteristic "fuzz" of low frequencies distorting.

I disagree on that fuzz would be an effect created by increased sustain. Distortion circuits have it a plenty and do not have "fuzzy" tone and there are also examples of clearly "fuzzy" distortion tones with very short sustain characteristics.
My ds-1 has the M5223AL, and im using the electrosmash schematic as a reference.

Ben N

Quote from: Vivek on November 10, 2021, 01:59:36 AM
Increase the amount of bass entering the clipper
Exactly my thought. I would think increasing the coupling caps C1 & C3 from .047 to .1-.47 uf or so would go a long way.

That said, building a decent fuzz is not that hard. Why ruin a distortion to make a pseudo fuzz?
  • SUPPORTER

Steben

Quote from: Ben N on November 10, 2021, 05:47:23 AM
Exactly my thought. I would think increasing the coupling caps C1 & C3 to .1 to .47 uf or so would go a long way.

That said, building a decent fuzz is not that hard. Why ruin a distortion to make a pseudo fuzz?

and make them switchable
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Vivek

Quote from: Steben on November 10, 2021, 06:17:12 AM
Exactly my thought. I would think increasing the coupling caps C1 & C3 to .1 to .47 uf or so would go a long way.

and make them switchable

Or like pre-dist Bass EQ knob of Wampler Ecstasy / Euphoria

Steben

Adding a BMP tone control in front will bring you from fuzz to classic Pre-high pass rock.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

iainpunk

i would change the values of the input booster stage into a Bazz Fuss circuit, and then rely on the rest of the circuit to take it even further.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

snow123

Exactly my thought. I would think increasing the coupling caps C1 & C3 from .047 to .1-.47 uf or so would go a long way.

well i really liked the fizziness and stuff that the circuit has going on, and i thought it would work better as a fuzz that a distortion. and before you wrote that, i actually decreased c3 to 33nf, and i think that got me closer to what i want, 'cause i found the circuit to be a little too bass heavy sometimes.

snow123

and im pretty happy with how i have the circuit at the moment. i just think it needs a little more gain.

snow123

and im curious, what are the main components that effect volume? and that dont mess with anything else, as im really happy with how everything sounds rn.