how can i make a boss ds-1 behave more like a fuzz pedal?

Started by snow123, November 09, 2021, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on November 10, 2021, 04:27:35 PM
and im curious, what are the main components that effect volume? and that dont mess with anything else, as im really happy with how everything sounds rn.
update: yea im really happy with how the main circuit sounds, buuuuut theres a volume loss issue, and im thinking it could be an issue with the output stage as jumpering r39 and r18 hasnt fixed it.

Vivek

To increase volume,

Try using LED as clipping diodes

or 2 Si in series one way and another 2 pointing the other way, in parallel

This will change clipping too, you might need more gain from the Opamp.

snow123

Quote from: Vivek on November 11, 2021, 07:48:26 AM
To increase volume,

Try using LED as clipping diodes

or 2 Si in series one way and another 2 pointing the other way, in parallel

This will change clipping too, you might need more gain from the Opamp.
no, im not using leds. i already tried using them, and while there is a big volume boost, i dont like the way they sound at all.

snow123

and i also REALLY like the way the 1n60p+1n34a sounds.

snow123

update: i just tried removing the 1n34a, and its way louder now, even with different silicon diodes.

snow123

and i tried a BAT46 diode, and that diode kinda just turns the tone control into a dark/fuzz control. it makes it so when you turn the tone up, it makes the pedal sound fuzzier instead of sounding shrill, but it doesnt respond well the turning the tone down at all.

teemuk

Quote... im not using leds. i already tried using them, and while there is a big volume boost, i dont like the way they sound at all.

Well, you have these "Dist" and "Level controls. "Dist" is really a gain control so if LEDs clip at four times higher threshold than Ge diodes (and at two times higher than Si) you simply adjust the gain accordingly. LEDs need four times more gain to clip signal at the same region of the waveform and vice versa. Sounds like what you are doing at the moment is just comparing the effects of different thresholds.

Then you have the "Level" control for controlling output signal amplitude. LEDs with their higher clipping threshold output four times higher peak signal amplitudes than Ge diodes (and vice versa). If Ge diodes clipping is toi quiet turn the level control up. If LED is too loud turn the volume down.

After these adjustments you usually find out that differences of different clipping diode types are actually very subtle.

No. Unfortunately in DS-1 there is no "post gain" to amplify the clipping limited signal. There is seldom need for it anyway since the output signal should be much higher in amplitude than output signal from your pickups. If you want, you can always add a gain stage to the output, though.

snow123

Quote from: teemuk on November 12, 2021, 12:09:39 AM
Quote... im not using leds. i already tried using them, and while there is a big volume boost, i dont like the way they sound at all.

Well, you have these "Dist" and "Level controls. "Dist" is really a gain control so if LEDs clip at four times higher threshold than Ge diodes (and at two times higher than Si) you simply adjust the gain accordingly. LEDs need four times more gain to clip signal at the same region of the waveform and vice versa. Sounds like what you are doing at the moment is just comparing the effects of different thresholds.

Then you have the "Level" control for controlling output signal amplitude. LEDs with their higher clipping threshold output four times higher peak signal amplitudes than Ge diodes (and vice versa). If Ge diodes clipping is toi quiet turn the level control up. If LED is too loud turn the volume down.

After these adjustments you usually find out that differences of different clipping diode types are actually very subtle.

No. Unfortunately in DS-1 there is no "post gain" to amplify the clipping limited signal. There is seldom need for it anyway since the output signal should be much higher in amplitude than output signal from your pickups. If you want, you can always add a gain stage to the output, though.
i dont like the way they sound with the gain cranked either.

snow123

and ive done some more diode swapping, and it seems like it only gets loud when theres either 1 or 0 diodes for clipping.

snow123

also, my bridge pickup is rated at about 16k ohms, and my neck pickup is at about 7k-8k ohms,  if that matters at all.

Vivek

Quote from: teemuk on November 12, 2021, 12:09:39 AM

Amen bro !

Vivek

snow123

well i guess ill just put an lpb 1 inside of the pedal, so how would i do that?

iainpunk

Quote from: snow123 on November 12, 2021, 04:32:08 PM
i would build an external pedal and just boost the distortion. the reasoning is that you can also boost other pedals or amps with a separate boost.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

snow123

Quote from: iainpunk on November 12, 2021, 05:38:57 PM
Quote from: snow123 on November 12, 2021, 04:32:08 PM
i would build an external pedal and just boost the distortion. the reasoning is that you can also boost other pedals or amps with a separate boost.

cheers

i dont have enough space on my pedalboard for that, and i just need it to only boost the amount of volume coming out of the ds1

snow123

like do i replace r18 with the lpb1 circuit or what

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on November 12, 2021, 10:26:26 PM
like do i replace r18 with the lpb1 circuit or what
i know that i can connect the lpb1s ground to one of the 1/4" jacks, but i dont know where to connect the circuit to +9v or how to connect the lpb1s circuit to the ds-1s circuit.

snow123

Here's how I have the lpb1 wired up atm. I just don't know where to wire the lpb1 to the ds1 circuit.

anotherjim

If the LPB-1 is an output boost, there are few places it can go without also affecting the bypassed clean path.
Easiest might be to break the connection between Tone pot lug 2 and Level pot lug 3. Tone lug 2 feeds the LPB-1 input cap. LPB-1 output cap feeds Level lug 3. LPB-1 goes in the battery space I suppose.

snow123

Quote from: anotherjim on November 14, 2021, 05:14:23 AM
If the LPB-1 is an output boost, there are few places it can go without also affecting the bypassed clean path.
Easiest might be to break the connection between Tone pot lug 2 and Level pot lug 3. Tone lug 2 feeds the LPB-1 input cap. LPB-1 output cap feeds Level lug 3. LPB-1 goes in the battery space I suppose.
i tried that and the level control (the trimpot) on the lpb1 works as an extension to the tone control (like it gets more treble when you turn it up), and the signal is now quieter, and the signal loses all of the distortion when i turn the trimpot all the way up. and yes i am using it as an output booster.