how can i make a boss ds-1 behave more like a fuzz pedal?

Started by snow123, November 09, 2021, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

Quote from: anotherjim on November 22, 2021, 09:20:15 AM
I can't see why it should misbehave now. Are you sure you disconnected the right pot wires in the DS-1? IIRC, there's a flat cable from the pots to the PCB and the ones to disconnect are I think numbered 7 & 9.
You should still have the DS-1 4.5v reference on all of the DS-1 tone & level pot lugs.
wait so i disconnects tone 2 and level 3 from the pcb, and wire the lpb1 in/out to the pots? just making sure i have this right.

snow123

'cause ive been wiring the lpb1s in/out to where the pots are wired on the pcb.

anotherjim

Quotewait so i disconnects tone 2 and level 3 from the pcb, and wire the lpb1 in/out to the pots? just making sure i have this right.
Yes. If you look at the PCB copper trace, you'll see those 2 pot wires are simply connected to each other and don't go anywhere else but it means your LPB-1 is bypassed by the existing connections if you leave the wires connected.

snow123

Quote from: anotherjim on November 24, 2021, 04:19:52 AM
Quotewait so i disconnects tone 2 and level 3 from the pcb, and wire the lpb1 in/out to the pots? just making sure i have this right.
Yes. If you look at the PCB copper trace, you'll see those 2 pot wires are simply connected to each other and don't go anywhere else but it means your LPB-1 is bypassed by the existing connections if you leave the wires connected.
wait how do i only disconnect those wires? 'cause its on a ribbon cable, and the ribbon cable is glued there.

snow123

anotherjim

You have 3 options.
You can cut the wire at some point along the cable. Got a craft knife/scalpel? Slit the web between the conductors and snip out a portion of the wire.
Use a rotary tool/Dremel with a burr and grind away the PCB copper trace between the 2 pot wires.
Chop out the glue around the wire so you can unsolder it.

snow123

Quote from: anotherjim on November 27, 2021, 03:44:28 AM
You have 3 options.
You can cut the wire at some point along the cable. Got a craft knife/scalpel? Slit the web between the conductors and snip out a portion of the wire.
Use a rotary tool/Dremel with a burr and grind away the PCB copper trace between the 2 pot wires.
ok, i used an exacto knife to cut out the glue, and clipped those wires off, and now everything works perfectly and sounds amazing! thank you

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on November 28, 2021, 11:08:23 PM
Quote from: anotherjim on November 27, 2021, 03:44:28 AM
You have 3 options.
ok, i used an exacto knife to cut out the glue, and clipped those wires off, and now everything works perfectly and sounds amazing! thank you
wait there's 2 things that are happening now, the pedal starts hissing (but starts squealing with an overdrive hitting it) when the level is at 10, and the level control kinda stops increasing the actual volume after 12 o clock, and starts increasing the gain a little bit.

anotherjim

This is all inevitable. Putting a gain circuit after a distortion amplifies the noise it makes. The LPB-1 is an inverting circuit and the input booster in the DS-1 circuit also inverts allowing positive feedback conditions within the DS-1 when the gain is high.

You can reduce the gain of the LPB-1 easily by increasing the value of R5 currently 390 ohms according to the Beavis schematic I linked earlier. You could try 1k there. If possible, fit a 10k trimmer pot so you can tweak it.

snow123

Quote from: anotherjim on November 29, 2021, 04:57:09 AM
This is all inevitable. Putting a gain circuit after a distortion amplifies the noise it makes. The LPB-1 is an inverting circuit and the input booster in the DS-1 circuit also inverts allowing positive feedback conditions within the DS-1 when the gain is high.

You can reduce the gain of the LPB-1 easily by increasing the value of R5 currently 390 ohms according to the Beavis schematic I linked earlier. You could try 1k there. If possible, fit a 10k trimmer pot so you can tweak it.
what about the volume pot not really increasing the volume past 12 o clock

anotherjim

There are circuits after the Level pot. At some point, these are clipping and it can't go louder (I suspect the bypass JFET Q7 doesn't like too much level. Not surprising, the LPB-1 has enough gain to do this. But you have it working in principle so only need to lower the LPB-1 gain to suit. Lowering the gain will also reduce the noise generated by the LPB-1 itself.

snow123

Quote from: anotherjim on November 29, 2021, 01:33:49 PM
There are circuits after the Level pot. At some point, these are clipping and it can't go louder (I suspect the bypass JFET Q7 doesn't like too much level. Not surprising, the LPB-1 has enough gain to do this. But you have it working in principle so only need to lower the LPB-1 gain to suit. Lowering the gain will also reduce the noise generated by the LPB-1 itself.
ok, thank you.