Power supply with batteries. Regulators at output. Ground loops?

Started by nonost, February 28, 2022, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonost

Hi. I have a new project. It's a battery power supply for my pedals.

I'm using a 12v to 14.8v battery (from fully discharged to fully charged). Then I'm going to use a 9v regulator per output. With that in mind, are there any tricks out there to prevent ground loops? I don't want to use DC-DC converters to isolate grounds because they are prone to induce noise and the amount of components will raise up too much. It's not worth it.

I know that shared ground is not a big problem in much cases. Just wanted to know if there are some tricks that could help when things get tough. Ferrite beads? Inductors? I don't f^cking know...Just thinking out loud.

Thanks!

iainpunk

if you aren't using isolating regulators, you will need to deal with ground loops. the biggest trick i keeping the area of the loop as small as possible. i tie my daisy chain to my patch cables with velcro cable wraps, to make sure that the area is as small as i can get it.

you could also use isolation transformers between all the pedals to alleviate the problem,  :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol: :icon_biggrin: :P ;D ;)

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Wavelength

I use CMC (Common Mode Chokes) and OSCON on the 9V side and usually 4.7uF Wima Film caps on the other side to isolate all my pedals.

A lot of power supplies I have don't have isolated grounds. I bought one of the new EHX 10 output linears and man it is super nice. 10 secondaries on the power transformers, 10 bridge rectifiers, 10 regulators, 10 of everything. Need to route that into my large board.

I do use a lot of the GigRig Isolators in my pedal boards. They are DCDC converters and really make a difference.

Thanks,
Gordon
Wavelength Audio, ltd.

Processaurus

Try it out before making it complicated in your mind.  For most localized audio stuff most of the time you can get away with tying all the grounds together.  They're tied together by the audio patch cables anyway, and the short cabling and the coax shielding makes for a pretty low resistance path. All ground loop problems I've had have involved long cable runs and using different AC power circuits in the building inadvertently connected by the audio wiring.

antonis

Battery powered supplies rarely exhibit ground loop issues..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..