SpinSemi FV-1 - WiFi enabled remote EEPROM emulator/programmer

Started by free electron, January 21, 2021, 05:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pruttelherrie

My line endings are 0x0A (verified with a hex editor, GHex)

The hexfiles are 20492 bytes long, while hexfiles with 0x0D 0x0A are 21517 bytes long, which makes sense since there are 1024 opcode lines plus the ending line ":00000001FF" makes 1025 bytes difference.

Commenting out the file length check yields the "Not a valid FV-1 hex file!"

Actually: the serial monitor prints "Hex file checksum error", so it's not the ending that causes it *directly* ???
Not sure how the checksum calculation can be thrown off by the line ending?

pruttelherrie

Indeed, line endings *are* messy.

I found out the following:

* A line is like this on windows ":040000004000028436" + \r\n, or on unix ":040000004000028436" + \n
* "data.length()" is then in windows 20, or on unix it is 19.
* "data.getBytes(buffer, data.length());" will put 1 less byte in the buffer in the case of unix?!?!

I mean: the getBytes() will chop off the last character (the 6 in the example line above) off the line. buffer[18] will return a 0, even though buffer[17] is the 3 preceding the 6 ...

But when I hardcode it to data.getBytes(buffer, 20); it reads the shorter lines just fine and the checksum calculates correctly. What is going on with getBytes() and data.length?

For now (with my limited testing), uncommenting the filelength check and hardcoding the buffercopy like below, the code works for both encodings. Mac encoding is a different story of course.

// each line is one FV1 instruction,
data.getBytes(buffer, 20);

[edit]

I think I found it: string.getBytes(char *buf, int len);
where len is the size of the buffer, which of course will be 0-terminated.

data.length() includes the \r if present, which will then be overwritten with a 0. If there is no \r, the last character before the \n will be overwritten with a 0.
So the correct code for variable length lines would be data.getBytes(buffer, data.length()+1);
It's no problem that a \r will end up in the buffer since it's not processed anyway (as you already noted).

Makes sense?

free electron

Totally makes sense. Good job!
I have generated a test file using SpinCAD on Linux, implemented the length check for both types of files and checking for all 3 possible variations of line endings: CR, LF, CRLF
Apparently, the modern OSX uses the unix LF line ending, the CR applies to the older pre OSX systems. I guess checking for LF only would be sufficient, but i'm going to leave the check for all three just in case.
I'll update the github repo soon.

pruttelherrie

Now on to the next challenge: automatic upload of a hexfile saved from SpinCAD (or any other hexfile generator).

The problem using an ftp-client is that the esp-ftp-server can only handle one connection at a time, and most clients open more than one connection. The 'builtin' ftp command on linux works, but I didn't manage to get that scripted.

BUT! Using 'curl' we can upload a hexfile to the web-form!

The command to upload a file using http-form-upload is as follows:
curl -X POST -F up[]=@path/to/hexfile http://IP.AD.DR.ESS/uploadhex?f=
curl http://IP.AD.DR.ESS/enable?file=/$FILE

That second line will 'enable' the newly uploaded hexfile.

Now we need something to watch a folder and call this command for every new file that appears or gets rewritten. There's a number of options for that, depending on OS: inotify, fswatch, Folder Actions, systemd path files, ... ?

I managed to get it to work on Linux using system path files. Here's a short recipe, not very flexible but it works (replace YOUR_USERNAME and IP.AD.DR.ESS):

/usr/local/bin/upload_fv1.sh

#!/bin/bash

FILE=`ls -c /home/YOUR_USERNAME/fv1/ | head -n 1`
echo `date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S $FILE"` >> ~/home/YOUR_USERNAME/fv1_out.log
curl -X POST -F up[]=@/home/YOUR_USERNAME/fv1/$FILE http://IP.AD.DR.ESS/uploadhex?f=
curl http://IP.AD.DR.ESS/enable?file=/$FILE

/etc/systemd/system/fv1.service

[Unit]
Description="Upload changed hex file to FV1 DevRemote"

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/upload_fv1.sh

/etc/systemd/system/fv1.path

[Unit]
Description="Monitor /home/YOUR_USERNAME/fv1 folder for changes"

[Path]
PathChanged=/home/YOUR_USERNAME/fv1
Unit=fv1.service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Then start the path/service with: sudo systemctl start fv1

You can check if it started ok with: systemctl status fv1

Now any file copied or written to the /home/YOUR_USERNAME/fv1 folder will automatically be uploaded to the DevRemote and 'enabled' in the UI   :icon_cool:

Other solutions/platforms are left as an exercise for the reader.

NB: Please note that I modified the DevRemote code to have a static IP.

free electron

Nice work with the auto upload!

I started to cobble a python script together to do the same, hopefully will be cross platform and easy to use for less experienced in linux-fu users, also not requiring any root privileges.
Uses watchdog to monitor events,  pycurl for upload + a few checks to ensure the uploaded file is a valid fv-1 hex.
The plan is to put it into ~/home/bin/ (or add to PATH) and make it accessible from any folder. Simply invoking the program inside a hex output directory will start it and watch that directory for any valid changes like a new hex file created or an old one overwritten. Ctrl+C to quit.
Going to include it in the repo once finished.

btw. with mdns the address of the board will be just fv1.local - no hassle with setting up or looking for the ip.

-- EDIT --
Got the 1st version working on Linux.

added to PATH, watcher.py can be invoked with no arguments from any directory where the hex files will be written to. Script starts to watch for any valid fv1 hex file changes and if detected, validates the file name (ie, replaces the whitespaces with underscores), uploads the file to the DevRemote and enables it.
One thing i had to add to the esp8266 code is the ability to refresh the site once a file is uploaded via curl. Normally, each time a new file is written from the script the site had to be refreshed to see the changes. I solved this by adding a new command for the server: "/trigrefresh" which sets a refresh flag as true. That flag is periodically (1 sec) polled from the main page. If true, the site is refreshed once.
The script takes two optional arguments :
- url of the board, default being fv1.local. In case the mdns is not working the ip address can be provided, ie http://192.168.4.1
- directory path to watch, if not provided it will use the current working directory from where the script is invoked. If the board is available at fv1.local, the easiest way to use is to simply go into the hex file dir and execute the script from there.
Tested on Linux only for now. If everything works fine, i'll try to make an executable file for windows.
Repo will be updated soon.

free electron

New update:
https://github.com/hexeguitar/FV-1_devRemote

I think the new auto uploading script works fine, successfully tested it on Mint19 and Windows 10.
There is a precompiled binary version for win10 64bit included in the scripts folder. Should work without installing anything. Simply run the file from the working directory, alternatively add it to PATH to be accessible from anywhere and without copying the file to each working folder.
Script checks for a valid FV1 hex file before upload, so there can be other files in that directory.
I had problems with resolving the fv1.local using the pycurl on Win10, if it doesn't work simply provide the ip address of the board as input parameter:
watcher.exe --url 192.168.4.1
Optionally turn on the pycurl verbose to see more details:
watcher.exe --url 192.168.4.1 --verbose
To see the opeartion/help use:
watcher.exe --help
Naturally, the same works with direct python version watcher.py

pruttelherrie

Awesome work!

About the fv1.local: how does that work when I want the ESP in my home network? I'd like to keep my laptop connected the way it is instead of connecting to the ESP hotspot.

free electron

It doesn't matter if the wifi is working in AP or STA mode If the mdns responder is started. You should be able to access the board via fv1.local if it's connected to your network.
I have a  2nd small wifi usb dongle plugged in my laptop for all those IOT thingies which are on a separate network or use their own APs.
You could also use the WifiManager library:
https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager

pruttelherrie

[edit]

Nevermind, I was being stupid. Builds fine now!

CDC444

Why did you decide to emulate EEPROM instead of just flashing the EEPROM chip via the ESP? What is the advantage for the extra complexity?
Also, how long does it take to flash the EEPROM. Is this why you decided to emulate? Thanks :)

free electron

• Speed is the factor, esp. when developing the firmware.
  • Reducing the number of EEPROM write cycles.
  • Reducing the number of wires if the ESP is used as an external programmer. ESP would need to access the S0-2 address lines to set the program number via web interface.
  • Give the ESP enough disk space (SD card) and the number of patches can be practically unlimited.
  • If the ESP is an integral part of the device/pedal, i'd simply not use EEPROM at all.
  • Extra complexity is fun :)

CDC444

Thanks for the info. I'm working on a school project using the ESP-32 and FV-1 to make a wirelessly controlled effect pedal. I'd like to simply write the EEPROM over the ESP32 for less complexity but I am worried about the speed. Can you estimate how long it takes to transfer and flash 1 effect or all 8? Is it like 5 seconds or 2 minutes?

My very very rough estimate now is ~2.5 seconds per effect to transfer over BLE and 0.8 seconds to flash. What do you think of this?

Also, I'm unsure what to do for the enclosure. Metal is best to block noise for pedals but it will also reduce the wireless range of the ESP. What material did you select?

free electron

I haven't built a pedal using the FV1+ESP, it was meant as a development tool, something that makes the programming/testing the firmware faster and more comfortable. My test rig was more like a few dev boards connected with wires.
I also haven't tested the upload speed. The point of using a filesystem on the ESP and an emulated EEPROM is the speed at which the firmware is available for the FV1. Once uploaded, switching between the bin files is pretty quick. I think most of the time was not the bin file processing, but the whole web server stuff. I haven't used BLE, but with WiFi AP the file upload took about a second.
Is your plan to have all the firmware bin files stored locally on the computer and then upload/burn it to the EEPROM when the user selects it?

For the wifi range - you could use one of the ESP32 modules with an ipex connector + an external antenna.

If the final device will have the ESP32 onboard i'd try to make the most of it, use an SD card + file system to store the bin files, use emulated EEPROM for fast firmware access,  PWM outputs + RC filters to control the POT0-2 inputs on the FV1.

Probably even forget the FV-1 and use the two 240MHz cores for audio DSP :)

Digital Larry

Quote from: free electron on October 30, 2021, 10:42:50 AM
Probably even forget the FV-1 and use the two 240MHz cores for audio DSP :)
I don't know, are there some good examples of ESP32 based audio guitar effects gadgets?  I know my experiments used Faust, which may not be the way to generate the most efficient code, but other than more delay time I think I could get more out of an FV-1 than the ESP32.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

free electron

Frankly, i have no idea if such pedals exist, never looked for one. Just designed my own to evaluate the platform. I'm not really interested in these highly abstracted dsp engines like Faust, will probably adapt/port the Teensy library or use similar approach.
Boards arrived today, so i haven't built it yet. I stripped down everything WiFi related, added PCM3010 codec (just because i have them waiting to be used), 4 Pots, 2 footswitches, electronics bypass with 4053, analog pass-through and a small SPI display. USB-C and programmer are built in. Oh, and a proper 4 layer layout with separate supplies for analogue and digital part :)
The chip used is the Pico v.3.02, 8MB of flash and (!) 2MB of PSRAM already inside the package. Seemed very appropriate for DSP, although PSRAM is not as fast as built in RAM since it's accessed via QSPI.

pruttelherrie

Quote from: free electron on November 04, 2021, 01:01:57 PMOh, and a proper 4 layer layout with separate supplies for analogue and digital part :)
Good going there: I tried that EPS32-A1S with the on-board codec and you can hear the MCU in the audio whenever it tries to calculate something. So an external codec or ADC/DACs with prober layout is a must.

Digital Larry

Quote from: free electron on November 04, 2021, 01:01:57 PM
Frankly, i have no idea if such pedals exist, never looked for one. Just designed my own to evaluate the platform. I'm not really interested in these highly abstracted dsp engines like Faust, will probably adapt/port the Teensy library or use similar approach.
However you go about it, I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

free electron

Quote from: Digital Larry on November 06, 2021, 01:53:25 PM
However you go about it, I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
I got it working. Ported my written for Teensy Plate reverb code to the PicoV3.02 using the 2MB PSRAM for all the reverb allpass and delay buffers.
Here is a short demo using a few different guitar sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBzCPpaZFyk
The reverb is fully stereo in/out, original code for Teensy is here:
https://github.com/hexeguitar/t40fx/tree/main/Hx_PlateReverb

Quote from: pruttelherrie on November 05, 2021, 03:08:07 AM
Good going there: I tried that EPS32-A1S with the on-board codec and you can hear the MCU in the audio whenever it tries to calculate something. So an external codec or ADC/DACs with prober layout is a must.
I actually started with your Teensy->Esp32 audio lib repo :) Certainly saved a lot of work, thanks! Had to do a few changes to make it work with PCM3010, but all in all it's a good base platform for the esp.
Noise wise the pedal is pretty good i think. I haven't measured the noise levels yet, but after playing with it i haven't noticed any increased noise level compared to my other digital gear. Of course, i'm not even touching any radio stuff.

pruttelherrie

Quote from: free electron on November 26, 2021, 05:17:24 AM
I actually started with your Teensy->Esp32 audio lib repo :) Certainly saved a lot of work, thanks! Had to do a few changes to make it work with PCM3010, but all in all it's a good base platform for the esp.

Cool! I'm happy that people find a use for it :)

Your reverb sounds good btw.