Biasing the base pin voltage of a boost pedal?

Started by carboncomp, December 03, 2021, 04:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

Looking at the voltage divider on the base pin of a bunch of single transistor bost circuits there seems to be a different array of voltages from 0.8 - 2v depending on the circuit in question.

Is there an optimum value that can be obtained by the datasheet of the transistor or is it just one factor and the Base-Emitter voltage is the more important value?

PRR

> optimum value that can be obtained by the datasheet of the transistor

No.

It's not about the transistor. It is about the circuit.
  • SUPPORTER

carboncomp

Quote from: PRR on December 03, 2021, 05:18:20 PM
> optimum value that can be obtained by the datasheet of the transistor

No.

It's not about the transistor. It is about the circuit.

Can you expound on that a little, surely there has to be a right and a wrong way to bias a transistor, regardless of what comes after the transistors? In boost pedals, it's mainly just a decoupling output cap, and a resistor to ground for the volume, surely the values cant be arbitrary?

For example from input to output you just have a coupling capacitor and resistor for Highpass, then the voltage divider in question for biasing, resistors R3 & R5 to set the gain across the collector and emitter, and decoupling cap and a resistor for volume.

antonis

What Paul tells you is any circuit based on transistor hFE (or any other item's parameter of wide spread) is a bad circuit.. :icon_wink:
See below variations of voltages due to different hFE (beta)

First of all, we determine Collector current which is considered equal to Emitter one (not true for BJTs of very low hFE)..
Emitter voltage is set by Base voltage (minus about 700mV) and Emitter resistor (if any) sets Emitter current, hence Collector one..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: carboncomp on December 03, 2021, 05:43:15 PM
Can you expound on that a little, surely there has to be a right and a wrong way to bias a transistor, regardless of what comes after the transistors? In boost pedals, it's mainly just a decoupling output cap, and a resistor to ground for the volume, surely the values cant be arbitrary?

Just apply the calculation formulas posted above.. :icon_wink:

edit:
Base voltage is  9 X 100k/(1M+100k) = 818mV (actually a bit loer due to voltage drop across Thevenin equivalent resistance but let it be..) :icon_wink:
Emitter voltage is 0.818 - 0.65 = 0.168..
Emitter current is 0.168/390 = 430μA..
Voltage drop across Collector resistor is 430μA X 10k = 4.3V..
Collector voltage is 9V - 4.3V = 4.7V..
Piece of cake, isn't it..?? :icon_wink:

Volume pot's value is a compromise between R3 ('cause is effectibelly set in parallel with Collector resistor) & next effect input impedance ('cause upper lug - wiper part is set in series with next input impedance)..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Rob Strand

QuoteFirst of all, we determine Collector current which is considered equal to Emitter one (not true for BJTs of very low hFE)..
Emitter voltage is set by Base voltage (minus about 700mV) and Emitter resistor (if any) sets Emitter current, hence Collector one..

At low current VBE can end up 600mV to 650mA.  IIRC at 1mA it's more like 650mV.

With small voltage drops across RE a more accurate VBE makes a difference on VC.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

carboncomp

Quote from: antonis on December 03, 2021, 05:46:42 PM
See below variations of voltages due to different hFE (beta)

Thank you, that is very helpful.

PRR

Quote from: carboncomp on December 03, 2021, 05:43:15 PM...Can you expound on that a little...

There are oceans of books on this. If you want private lessons, it will co$t you.

Semiconductor Circuit Approximations: An Introduction; Albert Paul Malvino, ISBN: 0070398984
Transistor Circuits and Applications, Cowles, Laurence G., 1968
Source Book of Modern Transistor Circuits, Cowles, Lawrence G., Prentice Hall, 1976

Cowles is not a teacher but a technician deep inside Texas Instruments. Malvino is probably the better introduction. Get THIS exact title: Malvino's later books rapidly go-off into integrated circuits. Good for getting a job, not what you need here.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: Rob Strand on December 03, 2021, 05:58:03 PM
IIRC at 1mA it's more like 650mV.

I always consider 650mV for my claculations (which are nearby 1mA) :icon_wink:

0.7V said to meet posted image value..
(not enough time for posted image editing..) :icon_redface:

Rob Strand

QuoteI always consider 650mV for my claculations (which are nearby 1mA) :icon_wink:

0.7V said to meet posted image value..
(not enough time for posted image editing..)
No problem.  I only mentioned it in passing.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

carboncomp