News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Standard pot to PCB

Started by isobar, December 19, 2021, 05:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isobar

Thought I would show you what I did to change the lugs on my pot. I needed a pot that has PCB legs but I could only get ordinary solder lugs. Because I had some StewMac ferrules and a punch(for pickup making) I used them to alter the pot. I drilled the lugs off the pots and swapped them over. It is necessary to take the back off the pot to make room for the punch for the ferrules and then put it straight back on. It is really easy. You have to take care when drilling the lugs off the pot and see that the drill stays centre.  It is quite professional looking and a good solution when you cant quite get the pots you need.

ElectricDruid

My worry would be the contact made with the track. Otherwise, I agree, it looks very neat.

Have to say though, I'd probably still have just stuck some bits of stiff wire through the PCB, and then soldered the lugged pot onto the wire.

isobar

Yes, I did think the contact could be a concern too, but it is quite a firm fit when the ferrules are crimped over and there is no resistance on the ohm meter. Also all the pots are just made this way but with aluminium  ferrules.

ElectricDruid

Well, the multimeter doesn't lie, so if it says the contact is good then we'll go with that!

It certainly looks solid enough, and as you say, that's how they're done originally. Nice work.