Pickup sim -> bc108 fuzz face

Started by rangermaster, February 04, 2022, 03:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangermaster

Hi there.

I'm planning on building a BC108 fuzz face for my own board. How ever..

I play wireless with a line 6 G50 system and the sound and cleanup is horrible(was expecting this and i know it's a common issue).

How does the amz pickup sim acts when i build it in the FF enclosure before the circuit input? Do i get a better sound and how will it clean up?

Tnx

(See attachment for the pickup sim schematic)

jonfoote

ive got a pickup sim in front of my silicon fuzz face. sounds just like ive plugged straight into the pedal no matter what i plug into the signal chain before it, buffers, wahs etc. so i'd guess it'd work for a wireless system too.
im not really a 'cleanup' kind of guy, but it seems to work the same as you'd expect.

rangermaster

Thanks for your reply. That's good to hear!

MikeA

I've made pickup sims specifically for the receiver end of wireless systems, they work as you would expect.  If you add volume and tone knobs, you can get a similar effect to using those on your guitar, depending on how close the inductor is to the value of your accustomed pickup.  It's inconvenient to roll those remote knobs up and down, but otherwise it's useful.  Here's the most elaborate one I've done, the switchable tone pot/tone cap arrangement is not drawn but it's described.  The tone cap value drawn is one that's unconventionally low for a more subtle treble roll-off.

• SUPPORTER

iainpunk

You can add a PUsim for a better tone, but the 'clean up' will be different still. Turning down a volume control makes the output impedance higher, which acts on the low input impedance of the fuzz face. This is not replicable with a pickup sim, unless you invent a way to change the simulators impedance remotely.

Cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

rangermaster

Ok thanks for your replies.

I'm curious what it does with the guitar volume clean up. I was hoping it was the same as with a cable.

amz-fx

The pickup sim is 20 years old! See my original article here:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

The update at the end of the article shows how to add a volume and tone control to further emulate the guitar connection, including the ability to roll back on the volume. Still doesn't work with the guitar's knob but it is available if you are driving from a buffered circuit.

Best regards, Jack