Author Topic: mattell starmaker guitar, with optical pickup system...  (Read 10013 times)

pinkjimiphoton

Re: mattell starmaker guitar, with optical pickup system...
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2022, 11:19:09 AM »
i looked into one of them a while back, from all i could glean on the interwebs, it amounted to run, don't walk, away... lol
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!

anotherjim

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2022, 01:54:51 PM »
Luthier work is on hold due to weather. All I wanted to do was round the back of the neck portion for comfort and get that out of the way to save constant stripdown/rebuilds with the fittings My workshop is also my studio so I have to do a lot of dusty/painty jobs outdoors.
But I have now got some kind of flat & hard fingerboard fitted to the log to get clearer fretless fretting.
In the meantime, I got a couple of TCRT5000 sensors to play with.
Datasheet...
https://www.vishay.com/docs/83760/tcrt5000.pdf
A basic test shows it can see small wires longways, that is the string passes over the centre line across both the LED and Phototransistor. I think because the light path is normally broken it's easier to detect anything that enters the path and reflect some infrared back. Only 5.8mm wide so a breeze to fit them side by side on a guitar.

Is there a shorter way to write "infrared phototransistor"?

Croeso i Diystompboxes.

I have no April 1st project

pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »
irpd? lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!

anotherjim

« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2022, 04:32:04 PM »
I've seen IED for the infrared LEDs, logical but it's probably not something you'd want the security services to hear you saying.
 :icon_eek:
Croeso i Diystompboxes.

anotherjim

« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2022, 07:03:27 AM »
This is an interesting device if you don't mind squarewave outputs...
https://www.application-datasheet.com/pdf/honeywell/hlc2701-001.pdf
It's a dual Ir detector with Schmitt trigger outputs for an optical mouse but also fuzz or midi guitar I reckon. Use with a common IRED (a better acronym). Has a 3rd eye sensor in it to compensate for drift.
Croeso i Diystompboxes.

anotherjim

« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2022, 05:09:56 PM »
MkII stick now has frets (and a zero-fret, no nut), an adjustable brass bridge and the original interrupter Opto - easier to mount for one & height adjustable in normal pickup fashion. Oh and a basic plywood box on the side to house the electrics.
I put a plain G string on it this time. Remember it didn't look like this Opto can see thin strings so I expected I'd have to put a bit of sleeving over the string where it passes thru the Opto gap. Blow me, it works anyway as it is! Have sound and is pretty clear too. I'm not sure about the physics of this - it even seems to have a wider working area in the Opto gap.

Development still won't be fast, I want...
Onboard 3.7v rechargeable LiPo battery power. A battery check LED for this.
DC-DC boost converter for 12v. Regulated 9v for a stable Opto setup.
Single-ended LM386 sustainer drive from +12v. I think it will suit the 6v coils I have + I found some stronger ones with slightly lower DCR. A way to move the magnet away from the coil pole so it doesn't drag the strings natural sustain.
Drone oscillators for a Hurdy Gurdy thing.
Fuzz/distortion for the Opto guitar output for ordinary guitar sustain.
A ton of cosmetic work so it doesn't look like the recycled junk it actually is.

I got the battery and boost working on the breadboard with the Opto circuit and it seems ok. No whines and it isn't even screened yet.

Croeso i Diystompboxes.

pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
MkII stick now has frets (and a zero-fret, no nut), an adjustable brass bridge and the original interrupter Opto - easier to mount for one & height adjustable in normal pickup fashion. Oh and a basic plywood box on the side to house the electrics.
I put a plain G string on it this time. Remember it didn't look like this Opto can see thin strings so I expected I'd have to put a bit of sleeving over the string where it passes thru the Opto gap. Blow me, it works anyway as it is! Have sound and is pretty clear too. I'm not sure about the physics of this - it even seems to have a wider working area in the Opto gap.

Development still won't be fast, I want...
Onboard 3.7v rechargeable LiPo battery power. A battery check LED for this.
DC-DC boost converter for 12v. Regulated 9v for a stable Opto setup.
Single-ended LM386 sustainer drive from +12v. I think it will suit the 6v coils I have + I found some stronger ones with slightly lower DCR. A way to move the magnet away from the coil pole so it doesn't drag the strings natural sustain.
Drone oscillators for a Hurdy Gurdy thing.
Fuzz/distortion for the Opto guitar output for ordinary guitar sustain.
A ton of cosmetic work so it doesn't look like the recycled junk it actually is.

I got the battery and boost working on the breadboard with the Opto circuit and it seems ok. No whines and it isn't even screened yet.

WE NEED PICTURES!!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!

anotherjim

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
Since I've been asked nicely and although it meant finding some glass plates and flash powder, here are some exposures...

The last one is a selection of bits including some electromagnets from relays. The one in the middle was my original choice from a 6v SPDT relay with a less prepared example at the far left. The larger one with the cable is what I hope to use now and it's from a 6v DPDT relay. Also a LiPo cell and a DC-DC boost converter module.
I've started to make fit the control bits.
I put the tuner at the heel end, there's just a peg on the headstock for the string ball end. The steel angle device between the tuner peg and bridge has a sideways guide slot for the string to make sure it passes the centreline of the saddle and winds on low enough to keep the string tension down on the saddle.

Important! It's only available in left-handed configuration!  :icon_evil:

Croeso i Diystompboxes.

pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
that thing makes me.... happy. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!

anotherjim

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »

The Guity Gurdy is alive. No demo recordings yet.
It got an onboard USB charger for the battery.
I found the sustainer works without a permanent magnet. The coil is under a cupronickel plate. The opto sensor got an alu' cover to keep the sun out.
Fret markers exist as white dots along the upper edge of the fingerboard.
The green blob is the battery test button.
I like to think that the rectangular box is an accidental nod to Bo Diddly -  because, Diddly Bow!
Croeso i Diystompboxes.

bluebunny

« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2022, 05:14:25 PM »
Neat, Jim.  You deserve extra "Likes" for the Bo Diddly/Diddly Bow quip alone.  8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2022, 10:29:23 AM »
it looks a bit different to the others I've seen.
let's not mention the football

iainpunk

« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2022, 09:20:04 AM »

The Guity Gurdy is alive. No demo recordings yet.
It got an onboard USB charger for the battery.
I found the sustainer works without a permanent magnet. The coil is under a cupronickel plate. The opto sensor got an alu' cover to keep the sun out.
Fret markers exist as white dots along the upper edge of the fingerboard.
The green blob is the battery test button.
I like to think that the rectangular box is an accidental nod to Bo Diddly -  because, Diddly Bow!
woah man, brings back memories from 10+ years ago
my first DIY instrument was a diddly bow, using a drawer from a broken cupboard as the box, and a plank as the neck. an improvised tuner from a hinge, wingnut and bolt, and no tuning stability at all. i was inspired by Shane Speal and Justin Johnson, but people always told me that i copied ''sea sick steve'' which annoyed me. i still play the hubcap gitter as my main instrument.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

deadastronaut

« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2022, 05:22:21 AM »
come on jim, do a demo ...dying to hear this thing. 8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

anotherjim

« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »
I'm trying Rob, but every time I pick it up, I get mesmerized by the drones and forget to record it.
Croeso i Diystompboxes.

deadastronaut

« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »
Thats a good sign then...,cool.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//