Small Bear Closing?

Started by Andrekp, January 05, 2022, 05:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrekp

I heard elsewhere that Small Bear is closing?  Is this true?  I tried a search, but I haven't found it one way or the other. 

If so, very sorry to hear that and my best to those involved.

Mark Hammer

Yes, true.  Steve deserves to be able to retire, like anyone else his age.  I need to phone him this week, but my understanding the last time we talked was that the objective was to either find a buyer for the business, or find buyers for the inventory, and wind things down early in this year.

bean

He posted on Instagram a few days ago that they are actively looking for a buyer. Boy, if ever I had a million bucks to throw around...

Andrekp

Wow.  Oh well.  He certainly deserves to get on with things.  I hope someone can take the reins. 

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Andrekp on January 05, 2022, 05:51:17 PMIf so, very sorry to hear that and my best to those involved.
We should definitely be happy for the folks over there!

Every end is to a new beginning. This one is certainly on a good note.
I know synthcube was in-line to take some of the burden of their inventory - but likely focused on synth DIY stuff.

I see a new msg on their page that purchasing is disabled as they sort a buyer of the company. That's news!

That said, If I hit the lottery I'll move to NY and let you guys know immediately  :icon_lol:
Warehouse management & inventory procurement is already my day job after all.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

ElectricDruid

+1 another! If I could afford to take over Small Bear, I'd love to, but I'm not in that position. They are/were a much bigger fish than Druid is currently, so that option isn't open to me.

But I totally agree with everyone who says that after everything they've done, they fully deserve a decent retirement - God, yes! - what all those guys have given to the DIY guitar/pedals world is enormous!

Good luck with that lottery ticket, Kevin!!

Jarno

Find a partner or get a bank to play ball? Not sure how hard/easy this is in the US (well, finding a partner is clear, but banks can be a PITA).

Ry

Looks like SynthCube is buying them.  Good news for everyone (I hope)!

bloxstompboxes

Glad to have purchased from them in the past. Been away from the hobby for a while and working on other projects. I just got back to working on a few pedals. Hope Steve and the fam enjoys their retirement! Well deserved.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

jdub

Sorry to hear- Steve & co. have been a huge part of many projects for me over the years. What they've done for the stompbox community is immeasurable. I wish Steve and family all the best- thank you, sir!
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

Quote..... the combination of Small Bear and synthCube will provide .....

.... Bear Cubs?
don't make me draw another line.

Ice-9

Steve and Small Bear have been a fantastic supplier for all of us. As an English man I haven't used Small Bear a lot but having said that any orders I have made have always arrived quickly. Good luck to Steve in his retirement or whatever he want's to do next.
Keep on rocking man !
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: duck_arse on January 08, 2022, 09:49:16 AM
Quote..... the combination of Small Bear and synthCube will provide .....

.... Bear Cubs?

Synth Bears!!

Kevin Mitchell

Looks like Chris from Synthcube beat me to it  :P
Awesome news!

And closer to home for me haha
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Govmnt_Lacky

Partnership?? I thought Steve was retiring. Did he change his mind?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

I was speaking with Steve last night, and the quote that stuck out the most for me was that "closing down a business is harder and more involved than starting one".  Part of that burden is undertaking a complete inventory; something which apparently had not been done in a long time.  And of course, the space Steve had been leasing all these years needs to be completely cleaned and rendered ready for whomever the next tenant would be.  The current lease ends in April, so that gives you an idea of the time-frame.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on January 07, 2022, 04:26:59 PM
Glad to have purchased from them in the past. Been away from the hobby for a while and working on other projects. I just got back to working on a few pedals. Hope Steve and the fam enjoys their retirement! Well deserved.

glad you're back. the wolf computer is one of my favs of all time ;)
you gonna be selling pcbs again?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 10, 2022, 01:27:04 PM
Quote from: bloxstompboxes on January 07, 2022, 04:26:59 PM

glad you're back. the wolf computer is one of my favs of all time ;)
you gonna be selling pcbs again?

I suppose. I never sold that many. Just never tried, really. I know we did one or two together. I'm trying to clear out some old repaired pedals and finish up some projects I never completed. But I am always game for making new PCBs for any type of project. I think the last one I did was a phono preamp for a receiver I was restoring. Ended up not needing it so I never tested it, even though I think it's populated and ready to go.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.