Replacement part for Coolaudio chips : V571D/M for Lectric Fx Echo DC

Started by eh la bas ma, January 03, 2022, 10:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

Hello,

I recently ordered a DC Echo Kit from Lectric Fx.

https://lectric-fx.com/product/dc-echo-v-1-0-analogue-delay/

I received a mail today from musikding, saying that V571 is out of stock.

I looked on their website and saw that there are two V571 : V571M and V571D

Surely there is some difference between these two, but will it matter on this circuit ?

V571D is out of stock but not V571M. Both are the same price and share the same datasheet :

https://www.coolaudio.com/docs/COOLAUDIO_V571_DATASHEET.pdf

Do you think it is ok to substitute V571D with V571M ?

Thank you very much for your help !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

Elektrojänis

Electrically there is no difference, but the physical shape of the chip is different. D is DIP, also called through hole. It is eaysy for hobbyists to work with on perfboard, veroboard or breadboard. M is surface mount. It's harder to work with and you usually need a PCB for it.

ElectricDruid

+1 agree with what Elektrojänis said. Electrically it's the same, physically it's not.

guitarhacknoise

you could always use a SOP->DIP adaptor... like the ChipQuick PA0005 or the SparkFun BOB-13994.
"It'll never work."

eh la bas ma

Thanks for your replies !

It 's clear for me now : either wait for the through-holes part, or ask musikding to send the smd version and an adaptor. I already did that once for a Darkglass vintage microtubes clone (Schalltechnik_04) with a MC33179 . I hope they'll agree...

Thanks again !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

Kevin Mitchell

Just be careful with what adapter you use. The more pins an SMD chip has the wider the adapter tends to be. Some adapters have surfaces mounted leads for the through-hole adapter pins - allowing a more narrow adapter that'll work. I would assume these are a bit more fragile since the integrity of the leads rely on the strength of the adhesive between the copper & PCB material.

Other than that, I've got plenty and also there seems to be more available from my sources. So if you find yourself in a jam feel free to reach out - though I'm in the US, don't know if that's a problem or worth the shipping for ya.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

eh la bas ma

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on January 07, 2022, 10:32:03 AM
Just be careful with what adapter you use. The more pins an SMD chip has the wider the adapter tends to be. Some adapters have surfaces mounted leads for the through-hole adapter pins - allowing a more narrow adapter that'll work. I would assume these are a bit more fragile since the integrity of the leads rely on the strength of the adhesive between the copper & PCB material.

Other than that, I've got plenty and also there seems to be more available from my sources. So if you find yourself in a jam feel free to reach out - though I'm in the US, don't know if that's a problem or worth the shipping for ya.

Thank you very much !

Gitte from musikding agreed to send me the smd version with adaptor. This is going to be the biggest (and maybe the hardest) build for me so far.
Thanks for the warning, i'll be extra carefull with the adaptor.

Gitte mentioned "supply difficulties", even about JJ enclosures, but I have hopes that they will re-stock the trough-holes version, if I have some problem with smd.

If they don't, if I can't find it anywhere in europe, I guess i'll ask you, then.
My motto these days is inspired by an old Atari Teenage Riot song : "By Any Means Necessary !...And Even More When It Comes To The Blueshift kit Echo DC ! " . It's a bit too long, I know...

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 07, 2022, 11:25:43 AM
My motto these days is inspired by an old Atari Teenage Riot song : "By Any Means Necessary !...And Even More When It Comes To The Blueshift kit Echo DC ! " . It's a bit too long, I know...
Lol!
We'll all be using your moto soon enough as more through-hole devices become discontinued. Recent example is the LM13700. Or in this case and very common these days, procurement delays. I've seen so many devices on backorder till 2023!!

Anyways, I've actually recently used my first SMD adapters for breadboarding a design I'm working on because there are no other options. As you can see they're too wide to be a direct adapter. Luckily this was only for testing.

Smartphone cameras are helpful but I think I need a microscope for .65mm pitch soldering :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER

eh la bas ma

QuoteAs you can see they're too wide to be a direct adapter.

I can't see why they're too wide. Looks very fine to me...

Adaptor's pins won't fit the IC sockets ? Space issue like other components around are in the way on the pcb ? Or both rows of smd pads aren't close enough from each other ?

Edit : LM13700, I have one of these in my Engineer's thumb built in march 2021...I guess it has been recently discontinued. I just had a quick look and you're right, I can't find it.

I'm glad I don't drink alcohol very often, steady hands are going to be the key skill...

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 07, 2022, 01:32:47 PM
QuoteAs you can see they're too wide to be a direct adapter.

I can't see why they're too wide. Looks very fine to me...

Adaptor's pins won't fit the IC sockets ? Space issue like other components around are in the way on the pcb ? Or both rows of smd pads aren't close enough from each other ?
Standard DIP packages have .1"(2.54mm) lead pitch and 0.3"(7.62mm) pin spacing on the sides. So pins 1-4 & 5-8 on a DIP-8 chip are .3" apart.
Though the pitch of my adapters are .1" the sides are 0.4" apart and another is .5" apart (two different adapters). Both will not fit in an actual DIP socket but will fit in a breadboard.

Edited; was off by .1" on the width pitch
  • SUPPORTER

eh la bas ma

Doesn't it depend on the manufacturer ? I didn't have any trouble of that sort with the last "big" adaptor I used, allthough it was attached to the main pcb (maybe designed by Schalltechnik_04 himself).

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 07, 2022, 05:08:07 PM
Doesn't it depend on the manufacturer ?
Indeed it does. There's a few different varieties of these adapters. It really comes down to what SMD package you're using as well as what kind of clearance there is around the though-hole socket for the part your substituting.
Also worth knowing that the V571 (Cool Audio) is SOP and the AS571 (Alfa) is SOIC.

But if everything (effect PCB, SMD part & adapter) are coming from the same place you likely don't have to worry about any of this.
  • SUPPORTER

eh la bas ma

I just received the kit today.

I am puzzled with the "adaptor" musikding sent me :

Does someone has an idea about what am i supposed to do with these ?

Edit : Ok, no need to answer that. Klaus answered me that it was the wrong adaptor. Everything should be fine !

Kevin Mitchell

What in the actual hell...

Better get creative!
Just kidding, there's nothing you can do with these. I wish I knew what they were thinking  :o

It won't be a simple task finding an adapter for SOP-16 with 1.27mm pitch that will fit the DIP socket correctly. Most of what you'll find will have those SMD leads for the DIP socket - which will of course work. Just risk breaking off the leads without taking care when installing or removing. There's also better ones with the SMD section offset of the adapter. Those will work provided there's clearance on the main PCB to do so - I see the last adapter you had used it like that.

If I were in your shoes I'd use a 16-pin machine milled DIP socket and wiring each lead over. Idk why they didn't just send you that...

Edit: I see you're all set now. Fingers crossed!
  • SUPPORTER

eh la bas ma

I just bought a coolaudio V571D through-hole version at banzaimusic, just to be sure. I even sent them an extra e-mail to make sure it's the right version, and they comfirmed everything is clear on their side.

I don't want to be left hanging on this build.

matopotato

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 18, 2022, 09:38:51 AM
I notice that I come across your builds as I am reading up on mine. I seem to be following in your footsteps  ;D
A friend of mine bought Quaverato from Zeppelin Labs "as a winter challenge" and I decided to do the same. It actually worked so then I thought, what's next?
And that lead me to the Echo DC (in this thread) via Das Musikding (+++++), but in the end I decided against since I already had so many delays and echoes and I fell for Spectron instead (as you have seen) and it is in the last steps to be finished. (Touch wood)
I have a Blueshift somewhere in transit from Germany that ought to be a bigger challenge.
And I am also thinking of Flintlock Flanger and Countdown Phaser from Lectric FX if things turn out well.
Any experience from those?
"Should have breadboarded it first"

eh la bas ma

I built the Blueshift and the Flintlock. I also posted threads on both circuits, as they were complex builds.  They're both amazing, among the best effects i ever tried, In my experience, they are the best modulation effects I could find on musikding in terms of sound quality.

I didn't order the Countdown, looks great but I built three phasers already... none has 10 stages, though.

The Flintlock takes a bit more time to be correctly calibrated. Instructions are clear, but I had to spend some time on the circuit, to get familiar with most trimmers, understanding how they acts on the circuit. I lowered the sweep on high frequencies (from 2.6Mhz to 2.2Mhz) to avoid distortions in the top end of the sweep.
I was very motivated to get the best sounds I could from the Flintllock, because, even uncalibrated, it sounds very beautiful and promising.

The Blueshift : I thought it would be the best chorus ever : it's meeting all my expectations and more...

I noticed Flintlock and Blueshift can put to rest an everlasting quest, for a while. The hunger for the "best flanger" and "best chorus", is generously fed.

About this Echo DC build : Everything is soldered, sanitized, cauterized, I am just waiting for one last chip, and i'll start the biasing process.