Original files for the PE Guitar to Midi circuit

Started by Mick Bailey, January 11, 2022, 04:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Bailey

Does anyone have the original unmodified files (.ASM and .HEX) for the Practical Electronics guitar to MIDI circuit? I know there are better and newer designs but I have the parts and Pickit-2 to hand and want to try it out as a feed to a MIDI to CV project. The original discussion is here; https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80030.0

Thanks,
Mick

potul

I must have the files somewhere, as I took them as the starting point for my own version.
Give a couple of days and I will let you know

potul

Hey, I didn't find the files in my drive, but I found the source in the EPE website. You can get the code from here:

https://www.epemag3.com/proj/1009.html

Mick Bailey

Thanks, that's really helpful. For some reason I'd assumed that the code on the EPE site was just for the electronic ignition. I'm intending to use your code with the glide/hammer-on function, but I wanted to see how it differed from the original so that I can better understand how the coding works. The function that I'd also like to fathom out is how to get a note to sustain indefinitely until a new note is plucked. That way I can use envelopes that have a much longer duration than the guitar's natural string vibration. 

potul

Quote from: Mick Bailey on January 12, 2022, 12:50:14 PM
Thanks, that's really helpful. For some reason I'd assumed that the code on the EPE site was just for the electronic ignition. I'm intending to use your code with the glide/hammer-on function, but I wanted to see how it differed from the original so that I can better understand how the coding works. The function that I'd also like to fathom out is how to get a note to sustain indefinitely until a new note is plucked. That way I can use envelopes that have a much longer duration than the guitar's natural string vibration.
The infinite sustain should be easily achievable. There is a note-off routine that gets triggered when the amplitude of the signal falls below certain threshold, or when another note is plucked. You can modify the criteria and add your own code here. You would probably need some kind of switch or pedal to control the infinite sustain, otherwise you will not have a way to stop the note.

Mick Bailey

A means to turn the feature on/off with a pedal would be useful, though the MIDI output will be converted to a CV/trigger and run a mono synth so in that respect an infinite sustain would not be a great problem - the note length is controlled by the envelope generator and the CV will be patched through to the oscillators which are running continually anyhow.