Anything use the LM308 that isn't based on the Rat?

Started by matmosphere, January 27, 2022, 04:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Just curious if anyone has seen a non-rat based circuit that uses the LM308. I figure it would have to be from the seventies or eighties because the 308 hasn't been made in forever.

vigilante397

I'm certainly not aware of anything, though I'm also curious. LM308 and Rat are so intertwined, it's hard to imagine either one without the other.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

iainpunk

I have some vague memories of a really expensive overdrive pedal advertising the use of the venerable 308, i cant recall builder/brand tho. Iirc it was based on a TS808 with the clipping opamp a 308 and the tone control another type.

Cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mozz

• SUPPORTER

matmosphere

Quote from: John Lyons on January 27, 2022, 07:47:00 PM
Bixonic Expandora (original version)?

I thought that was just a modded Rat. I'll take a look

Elektrojänis

Then again... If you only look at the clipping gainstage, how far can you get from the rat in an opamp based distortion?

Differences seem to be mostly tone shaping from different part values and how the gain control is configured.

Even if you look at overdrives, they are very similar... Only the clipping diodes are placed in to the feedback loop instead of from output to ground. The topology is still very similar.

D_Ex_Patria

A few of Roger Mayer's op-amp based fuzzes use 308s, like the Mongoose, Voodoo, and Spitfire. Most of those schematics are a fairly easy google.