fuzzface: low output volume

Started by brujo, January 12, 2022, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brujo

Hi there! mostly of the fuzzfaces I've tried to build comes with a low volume outputs, needs almost full volume on pot to have as volume as clean,what am i doing wrong?
500k or 250k voloume does not change much the issue.

thank you folks

JerS

In my experience, this is normal behaviour for a fuzzface. Volume at 10 just to be useable. If you want to increase the volume, try swapping the 470R resistor to 1K. It does change the way the pedal behaves a little, however it produces a much more useable volume.

danfrank

I haven't looked at the schematic in a long time but like the above poster said, this is normal. Look at Madbeans or Aions website, they have PCBs for the FF. IIRC, Aion's added a "contour" control to their circuit, this will raise the output quite a bit to where you can get unity or more when the FF is engaged.
I think, this is what above poster was referring to when switching the 470 and 1k resistor.

antonis

Quote from: brujo on January 12, 2022, 12:01:33 PM
500k or 250k voloume does not change much the issue.

Of course, 'cause it acts as voltage divider (resistance ratio).. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

this boosts volume quite a bit, also makes it a bit harsher in tone. small capacitor can remedie that

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on January 12, 2022, 06:12:34 PM

this boosts volume quite a bit, also makes it a bit harsher in tone. small capacitor can remedie that

cheers

You save one item by shorting 470R resistor, also.. :icon_wink:
(no need for a 5% added on 8k2 one..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

abc1234

cheers

That's how I wire my Fuzz Faces (and FF-derivatives) and they're well over unity before volume is at max.

For the sake of clarity and helping OP, by "small capacitor", I assume you're referring to a 47-150pf between the collector and base of a transistor...?

Ben N

Or just add a stage, which could be as basic as a 1-transistor booster or as elaborate--and tone-shaping--as an opamp overdrive, as in Small Bear's Bear Face or the Lovepedal Dover Drive.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: abc1234 on January 25, 2022, 12:14:15 PM

cheers

That's how I wire my Fuzz Faces (and FF-derivatives) and they're well over unity before volume is at max.

For the sake of clarity and helping OP, by "small capacitor", I assume you're referring to a 47-150pf between the collector and base of a transistor...?
yes, i meant a miller capacitor indeed, how stupid of me to not have included that

thanks and cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

pinkjimiphoton

cheers

hey now, no fair, that's my trick!! lol

you can also reverse the position of the 470 and 8.2k to keep the bias the same and the tone about the same, and get a decent volume boost. that's jackie orman's trick, tho, not mine.

then ya don't need the snubber cap usually.

also a smallish resistor, say maybe 300r-470r (up to 1k, really) between fuzzpot pin 1 and ground will make it drive a bit harder too if you need that.

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr