Sparkle drive - 3PDT Mystery (at least for me).

Started by rockaffe, January 22, 2022, 02:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockaffe

I built the Voodoo Lab Sparkle drive, following the directions in this layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/09/voodoo-lab-sparkle-drive.html

Except for a few hisses that I will try to resolve later, there is one oddity that I cannot explain to myself (keep in mind that I am a rookie): to have the output signal in bypass mode, I had to connect the ground of the switch to what, if I'm not mistaken, is the signal input.
By connecting the switch in this way, however, when I turn down the volume from the guitar, the pedal led also fades.
I have checked and double-checked all connections and without this change there is no way to have the output signal in bypass mode.
Any ideas to solve this problem?
Thanks so much!

idy

That unlabeled switch diagram doesn't tell us much. But that diagram will work IF it is done correctly and:
Purple is the "in" jack tip
Blue is the out jack tip
Darker grey going to middle left (terminal 2) is FX in
Light grey on top right a (terminal 7) is FX out.

If that was the ground, and you attached it to circuit in/fx in, you would get nada. Silence. It is certain that is not what you did.

Guitar volume dimming LED... that means the LED is attached to In jack/FX in. No bueno.

Check you solder joints. No stray wires? I don't know how much you know...are you sure switch is not rotated 90 degrees?

Switch as drawn the terminals are numbered

a photo of your actual work might help. People here love pictures of non-working stomp switches the way normal people love pictures of kittens...

rockaffe

Quote from: idy on January 22, 2022, 02:55:41 PM
That unlabeled switch diagram doesn't tell us much. But that diagram will work IF it is done correctly and:
Purple is the "in" jack tip
Blue is the out jack tip
Darker grey going to middle left (terminal 2) is FX in
Light grey on top right a (terminal 7) is FX out.

If that was the ground, and you attached it to circuit in/fx in, you would get nada. Silence. It is certain that is not what you did.

Guitar volume dimming LED... that means the LED is attached to In jack/FX in. No bueno.

Check you solder joints. No stray wires? I don't know how much you know...are you sure switch is not rotated 90 degrees?

Switch as drawn the terminals are numbered

a photo of your actual work might help. People here love pictures of non-working stomp switches the way normal people love pictures of kittens...

Thanks for your reply!
Here is the picture of the switch, I know there's a lot of colors, but order it's not my thing :D
BTW, connection are:

1 - Input jack tip + Pin 9
2 - Board Input
3 - Bridge to 6
4 - LED -
5 - To pin 9
6 - Bridge to 3
7 - Board Output
8 - Output jack tip
9 - Bridge from 9 and 1

I don't know why, but like this the pedal works both in bypass and activated. If I wire pin 5 to ground (as it should be), no output in bypass, but working while activated.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

rockaffe

Quote from: antonis on January 22, 2022, 03:58:34 PM

Yes, wired like this, the pedal have no output signal when in bypass mode, but works when the switch it's turned on.

antonis

If so, check wiring for short between lugs 5 & 9..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

It will have signal in BYPASS, but the effect will have a grounded input to avoid making noise when not being used.  You don't know this, because it is bypassed :)

If it does not pass signal in bypass, there is an error, as Antonis suggests. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

idy

Wires look absolutely tortured and ready to break... Hard to see if there is solder where it should be... tangle of wires near pin 1 looks dodgy... even a solder connection that looks good can be loose. And one that doesn't look good...more likely.

You have a good diagram. There is some small error... you will find it....

Double check that the wires you THINK go to In jack, Out Jack, FX in, Fx out, are correct. So easy to confuse in and out when things are flipped over...

duck_arse

the jack visible in your photo shows a yellow wire on the tip. the switch wiring dia shows that if yellow on tip, then top pin left side of footswitch should be yellow wire. yours is wired w/ blue. which seems to connect to the board.

recheck your wiring.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ElectricDruid

What's that black wire that looks like it joins up two pins in the middle row?

+1 what Duck said. Recheck your wiring.

rockaffe

Mistery solved.
I've checked all the wiring and they were ok, so I've tried to use another switch and everything works as it should.

duck_arse

I'd love to see a photo of the newly installed switch, if at all possible. and well done.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

rockaffe

Quote from: duck_arse on January 24, 2022, 08:51:57 AM
I'd love to see a photo of the newly installed switch, if at all possible. and well done.

I'm so sorry for the delay, I missed your last message.

idy

Congratulations. The new switch "inspires confidence."

Still seems slightly skimpy on solder, but I would not retouch it now...unless you get a problem.  Too much heat is an easy way to destroy the switch, they are held together by epoxy that gets soft with heat... the trick is the right heat, the right spot, the right time.