What's causing the "pop". Mixer input mutes.

Started by Buffalo Tom, March 17, 2022, 02:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Tom

Hi,

Im having trouble with switch pop noice when I active channels. Its a big mixer with 20 stereo inputs and 12 mono.. The schematic only shows the four first inputs on the left side but you get the idea. I wanted to leave out all the 20K resistors when they are not in use to minimize the noice from them.. (there is a lot of them with 32 inputs..) therefore I placed the switch after them. The pop noice is only present first time I activate the channel.. If I mute the channel then active it again the switch pop is gone... Same goes for all channels the pop is only there the first time I switch.

Any ideas how the make the "pop" go away?

The mixer is used with keyboards/synthesizers.

antonis

You can see that both legs of each input ca[acitor are "floating" when channels are off.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Buffalo Tom

Quote from: antonis on March 17, 2022, 03:20:41 PM
You can see that both legs of each input ca[acitor are "floating" when channels are off.. :icon_wink:

Hi antonis!

Yes I posted this over at diyaudio forum and got the suggestions 200K or 1M resistor to VB after the input cap...

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/whats-causing-the-pop-mixer-input-mutes.384281/

Will try tomorrow  :D

antonis

Make pull down resistors 560k to shake hands both with PRR and Rayma.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Buffalo Tom

Quote from: antonis on March 17, 2022, 04:57:55 PM
Make pull down resistors 560k to shake hands both with PRR and Rayma.. :icon_wink:

So the pull down resistor will not have any effect on the input impedance? I will still have 20K input Z regardless the value of the  pull down resistor?

antonis

Quote from: Buffalo Tom on March 18, 2022, 03:22:57 AM
So the pull down resistor will not have any effect on the input impedance? I will still have 20K input Z regardless the value of the  pull down resistor?

Unfortunately, No..!! :icon_wink:

Pull down resistor is effectively set in parallel with 20k resistor, despite they have different apparent terminations, 'cause GND (for pull down resistor) and Virtual Ground (op-amp inverting input for 20k resistor) should be considered identical from signal point of view..

The reason PRR suggested you 200k pull down resistor is a compromise between the limit of 1/10th (rule of thumb) lowering equivalent input impedance and better RC time constant for C1 discharge..

P.S.
From another point of view, you can consider pull down resistor forming a voltage divider with INPUT output impedance, with same results as above.. :icon_wink:
(signal income rather than signal leak amounts..)

ElectricDruid

What Antonis says is true, but he's making it sound worse than it is: the value of a small resistor in parallel with a large resistor is approximately the value of the small resistor. (Run a few numbers through a calculator online - this is easy to confirm)

This is where the "x10" rule he's talking about comes from. If it's "x10" or more, you can ignore it. So if you're willing to accept 20K input impedance, anything over 200K for the pulldown will be fine, basically. 1M doesn't really change anything in your situation. 470K would work too, 330K, whatever. Since the input impedance is low (20K input resistor) then you have a lot of options.

HTH

antonis

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 18, 2022, 08:24:14 PM
What Antonis says is true, but he's making it sound worse than it is

Thank you very much Sir for your kind fussing.. :icon_redface:

pacealot

If the input impedence were truly a life-or-death, 20K-or-fight! issue, you could raise the input resistor to 22K and put 220K to virtual ground, and voila! you get 20K. But as the pros have already noted, it shouldn't make any functional difference....
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."