Spin FV-1 Dual Mono Delay?

Started by olrs, March 31, 2022, 05:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Larry

Quote from: Vivek on April 09, 2022, 04:47:59 AM
Dear Larry, do the patches generated by SpinCAD follow this coding trick ?
There's no getting around it.  Are you having some trouble with it?   

One thing that trips people up is looking at Spin ASM code generated by SpinCAD for delay lines.  Generally speaking it does not look the way it would if you were to write it by hand as all pointer math is absolute (that is, relative to zero) rather than relative to the buffer starting point. 

The other thing that I think is going on is that you don't see "buffer * 256" anywhere, lengths and offsets are fractional and look like floating point numbers 0 <= x < 1.0.

The end result should be the same.

DL
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Vivek

So far, I played with the MN3011 block in SpinCAD, with 2 of them in a patch, and with a pot to change their delay times.

I will look out for the code snippets you mention.

Digital Larry

Quote from: Vivek on April 09, 2022, 07:48:11 AM
So far, I played with the MN3011 block in SpinCAD, with 2 of them in a patch, and with a pot to change their delay times.

I will look out for the code snippets you mention.
Some other things that you , or anyone using SpinCAD, should remember.
a) All delay blocks drop in initially allocating ALL delay RAM (e.g. 1000 msec max delay time at 32.768 kHz fs).  If you have more than one delay block, or a delay and a reverb, or anything else that allocates delay RAM such as chorus/flange (even though it's not very much), you need to back off on the max delay so that the "Delay RAM" indicator is not red.

b) The algorithm is not recalculated when you make control panel changes.  However if you "Start simulation" it will be.  So after making control panel changes, click "Start Simulation" followed by "Stop Simulation" to check the resource allocation.

c) Use the "Smoother" in the "Controls" menu to put a slow rise time on the delay inputs (after the pot).  I think the displayed value is the corner frequency of the LPF rather than the rise time.  So all the way to the left is the slowest rise time.  This control smoothing will give an "analog" type pitch bend when you change the delay time and help reduce glitches caused by sudden jumps in the readback position.  Adjust it by ear.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer