Question regarding the Cornerstone Gladio

Started by airvian, May 15, 2022, 07:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airvian

I've been looking at some gut shots but none were high res enough. Does anyone know which transistors and ICs are used in the Gladio/Gladio SC?
dusting a circuit in sugar makes it sweeter

FiveseveN

Is this guy the new Klon, only it's enticingly expensive from the get-go?

Knowing the transistors and ICs tells you almost nothing about how the circuit works: there are two dual op-amps (4558), a charge pump and an STM32 (for control, not for DSP). I'm willing to bet Q1+Q2 are for MOSFET clipping and the other discrete transistors are for switching. So it looks like any post-1970 overdrive + modern power management and ridiculously overachieving signal routing.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

airvian

Quote from: FiveseveN on May 16, 2022, 12:57:15 AM
Is this guy the new Klon, only it's enticingly expensive from the get-go?

Knowing the transistors and ICs tells you almost nothing about how the circuit works: there are two dual op-amps (4558), a charge pump and an STM32 (for control, not for DSP). I'm willing to bet Q1+Q2 are for MOSFET clipping and the other discrete transistors are for switching. So it looks like any post-1970 overdrive + modern power management and ridiculously overachieving signal routing.

Thanks for the info. Seems like it is the new Klon or something yes. I know simply knowing those doesn't tell me too much but I was still curious and am trying to understand what the hype is about. I do like the idea of the clean blend control though (I do on most pedals)

r080

I found this site with some pictures and info that might help:
https://shampoch.com/cornerstone-bull-gladio.html

The IC in the power section could be a charge pump to get bipolar power. That could make sense given the 2 regulators, but they might need one regulator for the microcontroller.

I notice some blue boxes under the jacks. Seems likely to be relay switching. I would agree Q4-6 look like they are probably involved in switching, maybe controlling the relays.

From the manual snippets, it looks like opamp saturation is used for the side of the board with the slide switch, with the switch adding clipping. I would bet Q1 and Q2 are part of that along with the bat41? diodes. The right side of the board looks like those 6 diodes are used for clipping, with the comp switch choosing how many of them.

Overall, it doesn't look like anything too exotic as far as the overdrive, but I must say I appreciate the effort put into the rest of it.

Rob

airvian

Quote from: r080 on May 17, 2022, 12:59:03 PM
I found this site with some pictures and info that might help:
https://shampoch.com/cornerstone-bull-gladio.html

The IC in the power section could be a charge pump to get bipolar power. That could make sense given the 2 regulators, but they might need one regulator for the microcontroller.

I notice some blue boxes under the jacks. Seems likely to be relay switching. I would agree Q4-6 look like they are probably involved in switching, maybe controlling the relays.

From the manual snippets, it looks like opamp saturation is used for the side of the board with the slide switch, with the switch adding clipping. I would bet Q1 and Q2 are part of that along with the bat41? diodes. The right side of the board looks like those 6 diodes are used for clipping, with the comp switch choosing how many of them.

Overall, it doesn't look like anything too exotic as far as the overdrive, but I must say I appreciate the effort put into the rest of it.

Good spots and nice pictures you found there! I didn't even see the bat41 diodes on the left side. Now it makes a bit more sense. The overdrive really doesn't look that special, but I'd be curious about what's going on around it tone-shaping wise though. Tbh the left side gives me Zendrive vibes with the diodes connected to Q1 and Q2. On the right side, I am not so sure yet. I could also be completely wrong though.

r080

More info for the right side. I found a gut shot of the Gladio preamp SC. It has two chips on the main board, so that chip by the power supply section might be another opamp.

https://d6a2e7ghqts3o.cloudfront.net/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/524/2021GPXCornerstoneGladioMain700V2.jpg

Rob