Epi Valve Jr Bluetooth??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, May 16, 2022, 02:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Have an Epiphone Valve Jr. that I would like to gift to my son. Before this, I was thinking it would be nice to be able to have the amp link to Bluetooth headphones. Having no experience with this, I am reaching out to "the brain" to see if anyone knows anything about this.

Thoughts??
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

aron

I think there are small Bluetooth transmitters. They cost around $40 and will allow you to take a line level and send to Bluetooth headphones.

AdamM

stallik

Is the valve junior all valve or just the preamp with an SS power section? Just wondering if it's ok to run without a speaker
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

FiveseveN

All valve, it's a Champ clone.
And yes, the latency makes the easy solution unusable.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Govmnt_Lacky

So there is a latency issue with the BT transmission. Well, that sucks!

What about a headphone jack mod? Skimming the internet does not provide a lot of options. Anyone know of any?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

vigilante397

Quote from: FiveseveN on May 17, 2022, 02:38:39 AM
Champ clone with an EL84 power section, cathode bypass caps on the preamp and no negative feedback? Not really a champ clone.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 17, 2022, 07:32:42 AM

What about a headphone jack mod? Skimming the internet does not provide a lot of options. Anyone know of any?
Yeah bluetooth will always have latency, it's not practical for live monitoring of instruments.

This was designed for Firefly, but I've implemented it on a 5W amp similar to the Valve Jr. It doesn't have a speaker sim so it won't sound amazing, but it gets the job done.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 17, 2022, 11:04:22 AM
Quote from: FiveseveN on May 17, 2022, 02:38:39 AM
Champ clone with an EL84 power section, cathode bypass caps on the preamp and no negative feedback? Not really a champ clone.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 17, 2022, 07:32:42 AM

Yeah bluetooth will always have latency, it's not practical for live monitoring of instruments.

This was designed for Firefly, but I've implemented it on a 5W amp similar to the Valve Jr. It doesn't have a speaker sim so it won't sound amazing, but it gets the job done.

Thanks Nathan. I am not averse to adding components (xfmr, etc.) to make things work however, I want to make it as SIMPLE as possible for him. I only want him to be able to insert a headphone plug and play. Then, if he wants to use the speaker, just remove the headphones and play.

vigilante397

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 17, 2022, 12:07:55 PM
Thanks Nathan. I am not averse to adding components (xfmr, etc.) to make things work however, I want to make it as SIMPLE as possible for him. I only want him to be able to insert a headphone plug and play. Then, if he wants to use the speaker, just remove the headphones and play.

You don't need to add the transformer, you're just adding a dummy load to the output and tapping off the output transformer. The Hammond 125A is just called out because that's the OT on the Firefly.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 17, 2022, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 17, 2022, 12:07:55 PM

You don't need to add the transformer, you're just adding a dummy load to the output and tapping off the output transformer. The Hammond 125A is just called out because that's the OT on the Firefly.

Interesting. I know my Epi Jr. has multiple jack outputs based on speaker impedance. Will need to open it up and see how to implement this.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

mac

What about building PRR 8 ohm adapter as an external unit, disconnect the speaker and plug the adapter to the 8 ohm output?
If you split the lower resistor in two or three you have a kind of fixed volume control --> PRR @ 16 ohms  :icon_question:

PRR, I wonder how to build those lovely cat ears in my AKG ???

BTW, the combo Eminence speaker is 16 ohms. It has two legs on each connector (+) and (-), so its really easy to add a 16 ohm resistor in parallel, change to the 8 ohm channel and play at 50% volume.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84