Seen a new book for diy stompbox beginners. Has anyone read it already?

Started by TakeItEasy, June 01, 2022, 02:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TakeItEasy

Hey hey,
I would be interested in your opinions if anybody has seen or even read this book which appears to be newly released on Amazon.:
Tracking Down Your Dream Tone - Build Your Own Guitar Effects Pedals: A Beginner's Guide
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZCJLB9J

Do you think it's worth buying it, any recommendations?
thx

EBK

Welcome to the forum!
I'd be happy to take a look at that book, but first I have some important questions:
Did you write the book?  Are you affiliated with the author or publisher?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

TakeItEasy

Quote from: EBK on June 01, 2022, 02:28:58 PM
Welcome to the forum!
I'd be happy to take a look at that book, but first I have some important questions:
Did you write the book?  Are you affiliated with the author or publisher?
Thank you for welcoming me  :icon_smile:
To your questions: writing books is not really my profession  :icon_wink:

EBK

• SUPPORTER

TakeItEasy

Quote from: EBK on June 02, 2022, 05:51:45 AM
Quote from: TakeItEasy on June 02, 2022, 01:25:15 AM
To your questions: writing books is not really my profession  :icon_wink:
You avoided answering.   :icon_rolleyes:
Oh dear. Since I am quite new to this entire topic I have been a silent reader in that forum for a while and I got some useful hints out of reading here. I just regĂ­stered in order to ask a question if someone would recommend a book to a beginner like me. Didn't know that this is kind of a trial and I have to prove that I am allowed to ask.
Thanks for your reply anyways.

GibsonGM

If it's a trial, Easy...it's an easy one to pass :)  Many trolls come in trying to plug products or books or to start arguments, so Eric just asked a general question.

Welcome, and are you affiliated with the publisher or author (trying to help them sell books....)?  Sorry, it's an honest question.

There are a few very good books that relate to our hobby (lifestyle ha ha), and people would be glad to share titles with you.  At the beginner level, the Forrest Mimms "Getting Started in Electronics" is good, as are his little handbooks on various electronics topics like transistors, opamps, communications, timers and so on.

What books would be good for YOU to get started with depends on your ability and prior experience with electronics, I'd say...where are you coming from?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

TakeItEasy

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 02, 2022, 06:25:18 AM
At the beginner level, the Forrest Mimms "Getting Started in Electronics" is good, as are his little handbooks on various electronics topics like transistors, opamps, communications, timers and so on.

What books would be good for YOU to get started with depends on your ability and prior experience with electronics, I'd say...where are you coming from?
I just looked it up on amazon ("Getting Started in Electronics") and I really like the drawings  :icon_smile:, the table of contents looks promising, could be the right one for me to start with -as I need some basics in terms of electronics.
Thanks a lot.

GibsonGM

You'll find we're a friendly group of musician / audio tech geeks in here, Easy, after we establish if you're actually a human who is interested in DIY audio!  :)

You can find a lot of those little books online, too!  Esp the "Circuit Handbooks", which a great for diving into opamps and the like.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

TakeItEasy

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 02, 2022, 07:42:31 AM
You can find a lot of those little books online, too!  Esp the "Circuit Handbooks", which a great for diving into opamps and the like.
hugs to you, bro. I appreciate any help from all of you.

GibsonGM

Same back; feel free to ask other specific questions as you get going - people here LOVE to answer questions, ha ha!
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 02, 2022, 09:34:10 AM
Same back; feel free to ask other specific questions as you get going - people here LOVE to answer questions, ha ha!
Not me!  I generally keep my mouth zipped and all my secrets and ideas to myself.  Been doing so for about 25 years and almost 30,000 posts.  :icon_wink:

But, just so you know, the first post  had all the earmarks - albeit quite unintentionally - of spam.  First time poster asks for opinions about a new product that few have heard of, and includes a complimentary comment or two.  Though not really active as such, I'm designated as one of the moderators of the Music Electronics Forum, and it seems that several times a week, something with those exact characteristics gets flagged as spam.

So, innocent-enough mistake.  Remember that scene in "Jaws" where the beach-goers and security folks get into a panic over what they think is a shark in the swimming area, and it turns out to be a couple of kids with a plastic shark fin strapped to their back?

stallik

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 03, 2022, 12:53:40 PM
Quote from: GibsonGM on June 02, 2022, 09:34:10 AM
Not me!  I generally keep my mouth zipped and all my secrets and ideas to myself.  Been doing so for about 25 years and almost 30,000 posts.  :icon_wink:

Thanks for the belly laugh Mark

Welcome to the forum TakeItEasy
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

matopotato

Welcome to the forum @TakeItEasy.
Haven't seen this book.
I read Jack Orman's Guitar Effects Explained and also Distortion Pedals Explained I bought by mistake when trying to get the first book. I think Guitar Effects Explained covers a lot of ground of the second. I like his writing style and he has a very instructive web page as well with discussions on what affects what in a circuit.
And to forego any question: I am not affiliate or connected to Jack or his publisher or Kindle or Amazon. But I have gotten two email replies from him. I felt honored  ;) :)

EDIT: Your book suggestion seems to cover a lot of ground. Perhaps limited to Fuzz, Distortion and ODs at first, but that is fine if you are beginning. Still, there are loads of good sites out there and forums like this one is full of gold. Just need your pickaxe and pan...
"Should have breadboarded it first"

TakeItEasy

Thank you all guys,
yeah, I have been noticing that a lot of stuff is explained well in this forum already, but hearing from pros like you guys, where to start or if there is a recommended book or so seems more effective to me than going through all threads ;-).

PRR

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 03, 2022, 12:53:40 PM... ... ... Remember that scene in "Jaws" where ... .... a couple of kids with a plastic shark fin strapped to their back?

One of those kids, Jonathan Searle, is now the Chief Of Police on Martha's Vineyard where "Jaws" was filmed.
https://www.police1.com/police-humor/articles/jaws-child-actor-named-police-chief-on-marthas-vineyard-where-movie-was-filmed-50-years-ago-LI9vpHN2uDPdvdGs/
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Interesting story, Paul.  I was there 21 years ago.  We had to content ourselves with tales of the Kennedys and James Taylor.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

matopotato

Quote from: TakeItEasy on June 03, 2022, 06:13:30 PM
Thank you all guys,
yeah, I have been noticing that a lot of stuff is explained well in this forum already, but hearing from pros like you guys, where to start or if there is a recommended book or so seems more effective to me than going through all threads ;-).
With some selective searches you'd probably wouldn't need to read all them threads. Although taking on such a feat would most likely yield unexpected rewards.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

amz-fx

Quote from: matopotato on June 03, 2022, 02:01:41 PM
I read Jack Orman's Guitar Effects Explained and also Distortion Pedals Explained I bought by mistake when trying to get the first book.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Talking about books, I allowed Yaguang Lian to use some of the photos that I have taken in his new book (still on pre-order) on semiconductor manufacturing. It will be available before too long:

https://www.amazon.com/Semiconductor-Microchips-Fabrication-Practical-Manufacturing/dp/1119867789/

I do not have any connection with the book or the publisher other than allowing the photos to be used without compensation.

Best regards, Jack

EBK

Quote from: amz-fx on June 04, 2022, 10:48:01 AM
I do not have any connection with the book or the publisher other than allowing the photos to be used without compensation.
Thank you, Jack, for including this statement.
  • SUPPORTER

Phend

"semiconductor manufacturing"
Big question I have is why aren't these made in the USA ?
What happened ?
Another note,  I personally find the manufacturing very interesting.
As a starter Check out this old video.
Ok, hey it's old but we like those Ge transistors,  so it applies.
Next time you stomp on your Ge FuzzFace appreciate that video.
Latest high tech chips can take many hours to make and ...over most heads.
Thanks Jack for the link to  a most likely cool book.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.