Recommended builds or kits for Compressor?

Started by matopotato, June 07, 2022, 03:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Phend on June 08, 2022, 05:27:23 PM
QuotePlease no more comp threads  :icon_lol:
Ok, Expander then
What do you have to gain from this??
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

matopotato

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 09, 2022, 04:28:32 PM
Quote from: Phend on June 08, 2022, 05:27:23 PM
QuotePlease no more comp threads  :icon_lol:
Ok, Expander then
What do you have to gain from this??
Oooooh Kevin, you're in treble now...
"Should have breadboarded it first"

DIY Bass

Quote from: matopotato on June 08, 2022, 05:46:19 AM
Quote from: DIY Bass on June 08, 2022, 05:28:05 AM
To get back on topic (briefly I suspect :-) )

Pupernickel compressor is a VCA design that I have made.  Very nice comp.  From memory it uses an obsolete chip, but can still be had as a kit from musikding
Yes, I looked at that. Currently unavailable and made for bass. But reading up a little got me interested. Will check with Musikding when they are back next week after vacation. Perhaps they can put a kit together.

The main feature aimed at bass is the wet/dry mix.  You could leave it at all wet though.  Oh, and the 10dB cut switch is aimed at switching active/passive basses.  Just leave it in no cut for a guitar

DIY Bass

Quote from: matopotato on June 09, 2022, 01:50:27 PM

Pupernickel compressor is a VCA design that I have made.  Very nice comp.  From memory it uses an obsolete chip, but can still be had as a kit from musikding
Do you have to breadboard it first? Or is that sort of automatically included?

No breadboard - just assemble the circuit boards.  The instructions are pretty good step by step.  As long as your soldering is good it will work out well.  If your soldering is a bit iffy then maybe work on that first - it is a slightly more complex circuit.

matopotato

Quote from: DIY Bass on June 10, 2022, 06:58:46 AM
Quote from: matopotato on June 09, 2022, 01:50:27 PM

Do you have to breadboard it first? Or is that sort of automatically included?

No breadboard - just assemble the circuit boards.  The instructions are pretty good step by step.  As long as your soldering is good it will work out well.  If your soldering is a bit iffy then maybe work on that first - it is a slightly more complex circuit.
Thanks. And apologies. I tried to joke since Pumpernickel is a very compact (german) bread. Breadboard...
Should be more clear if I try again.

Yes, I saw the instructions. Some of the best ones I've seen so far. Quaverato for Zeppelin Labs is also a delight to follow.
After my ordeal with Thumb Sucker, I will probably try to make it a habit to breadboard anyway. To avoid any hunam factor in kit assembly, marking etc.
Just gonna hope they can make a kit yet.

eh la bas ma

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I can't resist. Sorry if i am out of topic.

Guyatone PS-021 Guitar Exciter / Compressor, aka Aion's Meridian

https://www.musikding.de/Meridian-kit

This thing is amazing. Always on in my humble home.

I built it on bass specs, but i use it with guitar all the time, I just set Color around 12' and there's not too much bass frequencies.

It will give you control over even and odd harmonics.

Exciter control makes every instruments sounds better, clearer. I usually set it slightly under 12'.

You can increase the pick attack a bit with the Sustain control, but nothing really effective.

My compressor isn't diy, it's too expensive, but I love it despite everything : the Deep six. Jump on it if you ever find one on used market.

"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

matopotato

Quote from: eh la bas ma on June 10, 2022, 02:31:25 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I can't resist. Sorry if i am out of topic.

Guyatone PS-021 Guitar Exciter / Compressor, aka Aion's Meridian

https://www.musikding.de/Meridian-kit

This thing is amazing. Always on in my humble home.

I built it on bass specs, but i use it with guitar all the time, I just set Color around 12' and there's not too much bass frequencies.

It will give you control over even and odd harmonics.

Exciter control makes every instruments sounds better, clearer. I usually set it slightly under 12'.

You can increase the pick attack a bit with the Sustain control, but nothing really effective.

My compressor isn't diy, it's too expensive, but I love it despite everything : the Deep six. Jump on it if you ever find one on used market.
Thanks!
On the contrary I appreciate it!
I am putting it on one of the wishlists  :D

If it comes to buying a compressor after all, I have boiled it down to Keeley Plus or Cali76. The Cali is not cheap and perhaps out of my playing technique league, but it sounds very nice in comparisons and few are disappointed.
Still, Pumpernickel, Meridian and TS (if I can get it working)/ET are on the list.