Engineer's thumb distortion : a further attempt to solve the issue.

Started by eh la bas ma, June 06, 2022, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matopotato

About the old thread in ppcb forum:
Yes, Ratio full cw and threshold full ccw will distort.
My friend with ET did this yesterday over JamKazam session. So no doubt there. It is noticable and obvious, but "not a lot". When he dials off Ratio he has to go on a bit before it lets go. If instead he rolls up Threshold first it disappears very soon.
When he sets Ratio on 3 oclock and Threshold at 9 there is no distortion in the ET.
In my case I had to roll back to just before noon for both knobs.
With mine on 3 and 9, the pedal cannot be used as compressor. I sent sound samples with this setting others have confirmed.
Do I have some fault in my build?
Or is it ultra sensitive to what was described above?
Don't know.
Mine has actually gone worse on the breadboard during testing. Plan is to get some needed parts, put the build back to normal.
Measure both.
Compare build w breadboard.
Apply suggestions as of the last couple of days.
I am really sorry if I lead you somewhere where I made you think you had a fault that turns out to be an expected part of the build (and easily avoidable.)
I tried to verify with you if your knob settings were 3 and 9 and not dimed in your sound  clip. And I thought you confirmed it.
Anyway, I'll post my findings during the weekend in my TS thread.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

idy

QuoteWhat about just plugging the power supply ? Can this modify continuity results too ?

Unexpected connections above-mentioned occur also when the circuit is switched off.

When the DC jack is plugged in there is power in the circuit, it is "energized"!
No, you can't use continuity or ohms settings on a meter on an "energized" circuit.

QuoteBut this is what puzzles me the most : these connections happen only when the DC power jack is inserted.
QuoteUnexpected connections above-mentioned occur also when the circuit is switched off

Make up your mind. Are the unexpected continuities only there when the DC jack is inserted?
Are you using the words "circuit is switched off" to mean "circuit is bypassed but power is still on?"

You
Can't
Use
Ohms
Or
Continuity
on a circuit that has power hooked up to it. Bypassed or not, if there is power you can't do that. It just isn't "a thing." Bypassing does not turn power off...

Rob Strand

QuoteMake up your mind. Are the unexpected continuities only there when the DC jack is inserted?
Are you using the words "circuit is switched off" to mean "circuit is bypassed but power is still on?"

You
Can't
Use
Ohms
Or
Continuity
on a circuit that has power hooked up to it. Bypassed or not, if there is power you can't do that. It just isn't "a thing." Bypassing does not turn power off...

Yes, you can only check a small number of things and using ohms/continuity isn't going to work on an active circuit.

An unused DC plug is handy for debugging these types of things.   
https://core-electronics.com.au/dc-plug-2-1mm-id-x-5-5mm-od.html

Some stores sell DC plugs with molded cables already attached.

You can check everything:
- which jack wires connect to ground and power
- you can make sure the battery is disconnected when the jack is inserted.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

eh la bas ma

Quote from: idy on June 10, 2022, 02:12:23 AM

Make up your mind. Are the unexpected continuities only there when the DC jack is inserted?

Bypassed or not, if there is power you can't do that. It just isn't "a thing." Bypassing does not turn power off...

Argh, i was editing my last post as I slowly realized the extent of my bewilderment...yes I was using "switched off" as in bypassing. Thank you very much !

Quote from: matopotato on June 10, 2022, 01:55:03 AM
About the old thread in ppcb forum:
Yes, Ratio full cw and threshold full ccw will distort.
My friend with ET did this yesterday over JamKazam session. So no doubt there. It is noticable and obvious, but "not a lot". When he dials off Ratio he has to go on a bit before it lets go. If instead he rolls up Threshold first it disappears very soon.
When he sets Ratio on 3 oclock and Threshold at 9 there is no distortion in the ET.
In my case I had to roll back to just before noon for both knobs.
With mine on 3 and 9, the pedal cannot be used as compressor. I sent sound samples with this setting others have confirmed.
Do I have some fault in my build?
Or is it ultra sensitive to what was described above?
Don't know.
Mine has actually gone worse on the breadboard during testing. Plan is to get some needed parts, put the build back to normal.
Measure both.

If your build distorts more easily than usual, might be a question of input volume ? Consistent voltage readings may point toward a good build... If there is a mistake, it would probably show itself in these numbers. Anyway, I will try my best to assist you in your quest.

Quote from: matopotato on June 10, 2022, 01:55:03 AM

I am really sorry if I lead you somewhere where I made you think you had a fault that turns out to be an expected part of the build (and easily avoidable.)

On the contrary, I built it a year ago, and I always was suspicious about it, just like ElectricDruid said, it felt strange somehow. No more doubts, finally !

I have learned a lot thanks to everyone on the forum. I have a better idea how compressors are working, peak detector, sidechain... Well i am still quite confused i guess.

Looking for a solution to an issue that doesn't even exist in the first place is always rewarding with my current level in electronics. I wonder if this also applies to other things in life ? I think I borrowed your straitjacket... I might need it a bit longer. Thanks !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.