Panel mount male phone plug?

Started by D_Ex_Patria, June 24, 2022, 10:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Ex_Patria

I'm finding myself building a small box that would need to attach directly to the guitars output jack, like the old LPB-1 boosters. Where would one find a male phone jack that mounts to an enclosure?

All I get on digikey and mouser are ones designed to attach to cable. I'm sure someone still makes them, but I can't think of the magic words that would bring it up on a Google search or a parts filter.

anotherjim

I would use a normal cable mount plug and find a nut to secure it or slice off the threaded portion of the cover. Choose a good brand like Neutrik because the cheap ones can't cope with the sideways forces it will encounter and the tip contact becomes intermittent.

GibsonGM

I was about to make a Screaming Bird joke, but I see D_Ex already invoked LPB-1  :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Kevin Mitchell

Like anotherjim said, just remove the cover from a good quality jack and use a nut with the appropriate threading and hope the threading is long enough to pass the thickness of the enclosure - you may have to shop around to find one, the datasheets often don't provide those details.

Alternatively you could just use a male-male plug and use a regular female jack.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

antonis

In case of your box is lightweight (plastic?) you can use 2 componet epoxy to secure male plug inside the box..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

stallik

I needed the same thing a while back. Ended up going DIY
Here's the thread https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=125996.0
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

D_Ex_Patria

Thanks for the responses, all! The thread Stallik linked covers all these and a few oddball options, and see which is the most appropriate.