Boss CH-1 chorus repair advice

Started by soldersqueeze, June 12, 2022, 03:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

Eek, I hope no one minds me posting this as it isn't a DIY pedal, but it might count as one by the time I've finished...

I have a Boss CH-1 which doesn't really do much.. well, much of anything. It passes signal quite happily, but it doesn't really do much chorusing. It has a slight effect at extreme settings, but it certainly isn't acting as it should. I would guess it needs a trim pot adjusting, but it doesn't have one weirdly.
I have heard of bad electrolytics needing replacing in older Boss pedals, so I'm thinking of doing that, but while I try to find some low profile caps that will actually fit I thought I'd ask if there's anything else I should look at while I've got it apart. I don't think there are any obviously knackered caps in there so I'll be changing them all I guess. I think there are some tants in there too which may as well go while I'm at it.

Anyone had a similar situation? I've tried searching to forum/ Google but not found much.

Thanks in advance

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Is the CE-1 really what you're talking about? I thought you said CH-1?

https://electricdruid.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/boss-CH-1.pdf

If it does *something* (anything at all!) then that suggests that the FET switching and dry/wet stuff is all ok. A good first step, since that's often the source of problems.

Next steps would be to look at the BBD output, clock signals, and LFO, I suppose. Not necessarily in that order!

Ripthorn

Can you post gut shots? There is an analog and a newer digital version. I am quite well versed with the digital version, but not the analog...
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home