Tremolo into stutter

Started by Mark Hammer, June 13, 2022, 09:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

On another forum, a fellow was expressing his difficulties - largely mechanical - with installing a killswitch into his guitar.  I started thinking about it and realized that perhaps a tremolo with foot actuated on-demand stuttering might solve his problems.

Thinking about it some more, I looked at the EHX Pulsar.  It uses a single humble NPN as voltage-controllable resistive element to ground - not unlike how one is used in the Dr. Q - whose impact/control could be defeated or engaged, simply by whether or not the ground connection is made.  Set to "chop" (or however close to chop a Pulsar gets), it could easily be an on-demand replacement for killswitch, with rate set by the pedal.

iainpunk

so a momentary tremolo? i could see that work, but then you are stuck with a fixed rate, which incidentally has to match the music's tempo.

i usually fake the stutter effect with my hands, strumming and muting quickly. especially in lead, where single notes are used.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Mark Hammer

Absolutely agree that hand-generated stutter can be more "musical" and expressive than electronically-produced stutter.

My suggestion of adapting a tremolo pedal really came from thinking about whether one could achieve the same "feel" as an on-board killswitch, using one's foot.  That is, a momentary switch in a box that mutes the signal every time you press it.  Rapid pressing of a button with one's hand is easily done; a half-dozen or more fast foot-presses not so much.  The OP on this other forum was finding that he could not achieve a reliable "plunger-like" button-press on his guitar, and that the switch he had tried to use would "wedge" (which I gather he meant catch against its housing).  Conceivably, all that would be required is to find a better push-button (I don't know what he used, only his level of disappointment), but I thought perhaps an electronic solution might be feasible.

EBK

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 13, 2022, 10:44:14 AM
The OP on this other forum was finding that he could not achieve a reliable "plunger-like" button-press on his guitar, and that the switch he had tried to use would "wedge" (which I gather he meant catch against its housing).  Conceivably, all that would be required is to find a better push-button (I don't know what he used, only his level of disappointment), but I thought perhaps an electronic solution might be feasible.
Buckethead uses arcade buttons on his guitars.  Designed to quite reliably allow quick tapping.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: EBK on June 13, 2022, 11:14:22 AM
The OP on this other forum was finding that he could not achieve a reliable "plunger-like" button-press on his guitar, and that the switch he had tried to use would "wedge" (which I gather he meant catch against its housing).  Conceivably, all that would be required is to find a better push-button (I don't know what he used, only his level of disappointment), but I thought perhaps an electronic solution might be feasible.
Buckethead uses arcade buttons on his guitars.  Designed to quite reliably allow quick tapping.
I have no idea what sort of real estate is available to the requester, but I'll pass the tip along anyway.

Fancy Lime

How about a pedal that either mutes for a short time every time a foot switch is pressed AND every time it is released or conversely, one that only allows sound to pass for a short time every time the foot switch is pressed and every time it is released. Doubles the chopping frequency of the foot action. Downside: the length of the mute or "burst" (oh no...) time must be set separately by pot. But if that is no deal breaker, then an edge detector into an integrator with a pot controlling the time constant into a flipflop controlling a muting thingamajig (e.g. รก la the Pulsar) should do it, no?

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on June 13, 2022, 11:14:22 AM
The weird thing about that is that you finish up using a normally-closed button, since you need the guitar to make a sound when you're not futzing with the button. So then the button has a "press to mute" action, which (at least for my head) is the opposite of what I'd expect and want it to do. Of course, if you're Buckethead, you can simply *learn* to play the rhythms back-to-front with the "on" bits where you *don't* press and the "off" bits where you *do*, and no problem! Amazing stutter lines are yours to play with! But it would scramble my poor brain...

Mark Hammer

Not really.  It could be a normally-closed button if placed in series with the signal, but it could also be a normally open switch, connecting to ground when closed by a button-push.  Either of those would prevent any signal from being heard as long as the button is pushed.

FiveseveN

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 13, 2022, 07:02:08 PM
the button has a "press to mute" action, which (at least for my head) is the opposite of what I'd expect and want it to do.
That is how all kill/mute/stutter switches work though.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

deadastronaut

heres my stutter button....works great.  momentary off , done... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

iainpunk

how about using/converting a morse key? they are soft and light switches!

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Mark Hammer

Quote from: deadastronaut on June 14, 2022, 08:05:03 AM
heres my stutter button....works great.  momentary off , done... 8)

Great demo, Rob.  Daddy likes.

deadastronaut

Cheers daddy  :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah its pretty cool, dead easy, and cheap...just like me  :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Fancy Lime

Reminds me that I hadn't listened to this in a while:
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!