Diode flow question

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, June 15, 2022, 09:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Dumb question but... here goes nothing!

If a ground is placed on the anode of a diode, will the diode pass that ground through to the cathode regardless of what is currently connected to the cathode?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

EBK

Short answer: no.

By "pass that ground through", it sounds like you are saying "act like a short circuit". 

Maybe we can improve the question and give a better answer if you give us more context.  What are you working on?  What are you trying to do?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

merlinb

ElectricDruid

+1 wot they said. Unless the cathode is more than the forward voltage of the diode higher than ground, it won't conduct at all (or barely at all - there'll be some leakage) and it might as well not be there.

antonis

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 15, 2022, 09:00:07 AM
If a ground is placed on the anode of a diode, will the diode pass that ground through to the cathode regardless of what is currently connected to the cathode?

Same query could stand for ground placed on the cathode..!! :icon_wink:
(as usually is the case..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Govmnt_Lacky

Context:

Work related...

Recently found a possible error in some diagrams where several diodes had their anodes connected to ground. Cathodes for each of these diodes have multiple different RF pulsed signals at varied times on them. I am thinking that the "grounding" was in error as some of the diodes involved have the ground routed to both sides of the diode  ::)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Kevin Mitchell

My first thought was clamping diodes - but that's an obvious one.
It shouldn't short - as others noted.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

anotherjim

The capacitance of the diodes might matter if you're talking RF. So then, yes, I think the cathodes can "see" ground. Have you got specs for those diodes?

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks all!

Moot point now as the Ground signal was traced to other sections of the circuit which directly grounded out multiple RF paths. Back to the drawing board for Engineering. Lol

amptramp

In some radar units and UHF converters, the anode may be grounded as the diode is used as a mixer to combine two signals and get the difference frequency between them.

If you run into a rare UHF amplifier, the diode may be a parametric amplifier that is biased by a frequency twice the frequency to be amplified.

Govmnt_Lacky

Update....

Turns out that the schematic diagrams were drawn incorrectly  ::)

The author drew several shielded wires to be terminated to ground as tie points. Ugg

Diagrams/schematics need to be re-drawn.