Mini 2/3w amp. 12ax7 + 12au7. Too much bass when gain increases

Started by nonost, June 15, 2022, 12:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonost

Hi. I'm building a mini amp. All credits to Thomasa! Here the schematic without the power supply section:

MAX1771 for the power supply (around 200v) and two tubes. One 12ax7 (two preamp stages) and a 12au7 (one preamp stage and one power amp stage).

The 12ax7 triodes are biased quite to the left whereas the 12au7 are right on center (although the preamp one is at very low current).

I built it with same values per schematic. I only had to replace de grid stopper of the output stage for a voltage divider, since the amp was making noise/oscillating a bit when vol&gain pots were cranked. So now the signal is halved two times, one before each 12au7 triode.

I have a problem regarding the overdrive quality. It sounds really really nice with the gain pot at 12:00. Beyond that point it starts to add to much bass. I'm using a HSS strat with low output singles and a bridge PAF. Using the PAF at max gain I get almost Fuzz sounds when picking hard the EAD strings. I've tried so many things:

- Each stage section with its grid leakage & grid stoppers resistors
- Treble peeker caps at the voltage dividers (both of them)
- Center the second stage bias
- 1uf cathode bias for every section but the first one
- Other tone controls sections

I'm almost out of ideas... I can't put 4n7 caps instead of the 22nf cause don't have right now these big voltage ratings. But nothing more in mind.

What do you think? I'm kind of lost right now

mozz

• SUPPORTER

nonost

The are not 100nf. I forgot to include the partlist which has some updates values by the author.

First couple cap is 4.7nf
Second one is 22nf
Third one is 22nf

The cap at the voltage divider before the third stage is 100nf, but I put there other values. Such as 470pF.

anotherjim

The tone stack arrangement looks awkward. The 1M pot feeding it means the source impedance varies quite a bit according to that pot. It would be more usual to have the 1M gain pot after the tone pot wiper. Then the tone stack values can be selected to suit the known 100k plate resistor as the source impedance. 100k source is I think too high for the combination of loading following it but you don't have too much wiggle room to alter that. It might be a little better to also scale the filter values for a 250k tone pot.

nonost

Hi Jim. I tried another tone control. Right now I'm using this:

From the Princetone. It works better (more gain I think), but it's still really bassy.

antonis

IMHO, you need a Cathode follower between 1st stage and Tonestack, with Gain pot moved right after Tone pot wiper (as Jim already pointed out).. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nonost

Ey Antonis! I removed the tone control and it's not better. The Princetone tone control I posted works better than the lack of it.

PRR

Are you using a guitar speaker? Or non-guitar?

There's NO bass cutting in this plan. Some Fenders were like this but used stiff speakers in open cabinets so did not have big bass.

Change cathode caps to 1uFd (Marshall used 0.68u) and coupling caps to 3nFd (0.003uFd). Change one at a time, try, stop when it gets gut-less.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: nonost on June 15, 2022, 03:09:05 PM
The Princetone tone control I posted works better than the lack of it.

With Princetone Volume pot fully CW, it acts as a single LPF.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nonost

Hi Paul. I'm using a semi open 2x12 cabinet. I changed the wiring so only one speaker is working (8ohms) since I don't know if it would be a problem to use a 16ohms load. The OT is a 125A one, secondary is 8ohms.

I've found some 3n3 and 4n7 caps and replaced the 22nf coupling ones. I've also changed to 1uf the cathode caps... I guess it just needs a bass cut. Right a the input?

At the input I'm using a 10k instead of a 68k, and added a tiny 220pf to ground.

PRR

Quote from: nonost on June 15, 2022, 04:11:43 PM....a bass cut. Right a the input?

Quote from: PRR on June 15, 2022, 03:23:49 PMChange cathode caps to 1uFd (Marshall used 0.68u) and coupling caps to 3nFd (0.003uFd). Change one at a time, try, stop when it gets gut-less.
  • SUPPORTER