Beginner breadboarded fuzz issue

Started by Locrian99, June 19, 2022, 12:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locrian99

Here are the voltages
First is q1 c-b-e then q2 c-b-e

GibsonGM

You got some weird voltages there, but hang on, I think maybe someone INTIMATELY familiar with yer fuzz might happen along soon!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Locrian99

Yes they are weird when I look at what the electro smash page says on voltage.   I'm going to play around with r4's value as the collector and emitter voltage from q2 are pretty close to recommended 4.5, and .5 recommended but too much of that .5 is making it back around to the base and I'm already running 150k there.   I'll just keep going until that gets to .2 as well as I guess keep upping the 33k feeding the collector of q1.   But those values will be no where near regular by the time I get there.   Seems like I have to be doing something wrong here lol

GibsonGM

Hang in there bud...help WILL be coming, LOL....just takes some time for your problem to be seen...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Locrian99

Well I figured it out and I'm a little embarrassed to  :icon_confused:say what it was.   I always work on my pedals after the kiddos go to bed.   Amp is on 2.   It's fine for everything I do, and typically I can turn the volume knob down some no issue.   Well amp at 3 I can turn down all the way it sounds fine and cleans up nicely.   I feel a little silly now.   Still doesn't explain the weird voltages.    I tried a 470k in place of the 100k and it didn't really effect base voltage at c1 at all. 

duck_arse

Quote from: Locrian99 on June 24, 2022, 10:58:16 PM
Yes they are weird when I look at what the electro smash page says on voltage.   I'm going to play around with r4's value as the collector and emitter voltage from q2 are pretty close to recommended 4.5, and .5 recommended but too much of that .5 is making it back around to the base and I'm already running 150k there.   I'll just keep going until that gets to .2 as well as I guess keep upping the 33k feeding the collector of q1.   But those values will be no where near regular by the time I get there.   Seems like I have to be doing something wrong here lol

if your Q1 has emitter at ground, a silicon transistor base can't be anything but 650mV, plus/minus a few. you'll never get it to 200mV, unless you switch to germanium. I think yer volys measured is good for Si, try messing w/ bias on Q2, see if you find a bias point you like, and leave it there. don't worry about the voltages [after you've measured and recorded them] .
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

What duck_arse said.. :icon_wink:

Q1 Collector voltage calls for about 230μA quiescent current, which in turn calls for about 1.9μA Base current (hFE = 120)..
That current creates a voltage drop of 190mV across R1 (100k) which is accordance with Q2 Emitter voltage minus Q1 Base voltage..
(actually, hFE of 120 comes as an estimation after your measurements.. :icon_wink:)

What puzzles me is Q2 Collector voltage 'cause for a 760μA Emitter current (.76/1k), Collector should sit at about 2.5V [9 - (0.00076 X 8530)]..

Are you sure for R4 "correct" value..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Locrian99

I'm running a 5.6k resistor at r4 to get it to the 4.69.

antonis

If so, ALL your voltage measurements are FINE..!! :icon_wink:

So, to recap.. What's your issue..??
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Locrian99

At this point there isn't one anymore.  The volume thing was my issue, which was operator error in the end.  I just got done doing some more tinkering on it decided I liked a 2n4123 better in q1.  Had to change r4 to a 3k and 680 in series surprisingly to me I could tell the difference between the 3.9k sitting at 4.45v and the two in series sitting at 4.63v with my ears.   I was surprised I hadn't change r4 with the change to q1.  Went with 150k for r1 sounded better. And put a 680pf cap between the base and collector of q2.   Sounds good to my ears at this point.   Thank you guys for all your help and ideas here.   I'd say this is ready to move from the breadboard to vero which I'll start hopefully tonight.

Locrian99

Ended up finding a vero layout with a bmp tone stack with the millers caps so Added that to the breadboard to try it and liked it so put it all on vero and works great for it boxed up.   First not kit and first vero pedal for me.   Butchered the paint job on the enclosure I was going for, it looks like my first attempt at it lol.  Anyways thanks for the help guys.  Is there a way to mark the thread closed or solved.   

GibsonGM

Good work, Locrian.    You don't have to mark the thread any way - it will disappear as new topics are added.  There are even topics on paint, BTW, lol.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: Locrian99 on June 27, 2022, 03:44:21 AM
Is there a way to mark the thread closed or solved.

The easiest way is by begging on your knees (equipped with some bottles of fine cider, also) duck-arse to settle your wish.. :icon_wink:

duck_arse

glub glub glub, yeah, ok, it's glub glub closed.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER

Phend

Cool, everything I build sounds good to my ears too.
And that is what diy is all about..the final test, the ole vestibulocochlear nerves. (old in my case)
Hunh
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

iainpunk

Quote from: antonis on June 27, 2022, 08:29:08 AM
Quote from: Locrian99 on June 27, 2022, 03:44:21 AM
Is there a way to mark the thread closed or solved.

The easiest way is by begging on your knees (equipped with some bottles of fine cider, also) duck-arse to settle your wish.. :icon_wink:
still think there should be labels or flairs a moderator can add to a thread to mark it as [solved] [de-railed] or a few difficulty categories to denote the level of the circuit(s) in question

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on June 28, 2022, 07:14:27 AM
still think there should be labels or flairs a moderator can add to a thread to mark it as [solved] [de-railed] or a few difficulty categories to denote the level of the circuit(s) in question

As usual, you DO insist for half-arsed works, like almost all of yours, Iain..:icon_mrgreen:
(I tend to presume that's a bombed city residents feature..) :icon_razz:

duck_arse

I lived thru the 70's once - I don't want to be wearing flairs again.

and how do we know a derail when we see it - when most of the time, we cause it?

Phend

Texting while driving is hazardous.
You might get derailed.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.