C100K in place of A100K

Started by Phend, November 20, 2022, 11:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phend

Question:
Can a C100K pot be used in place of a A100K pot.
IF the leads to Lugs 1 and 3 are just reversed ?
Thanks
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

GibsonGM

...with backwards rotational operation, too...seems do-able...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

remind me again, which is lug 1 and which is lug 3?

and yes, I don't need an answer.
don't make me draw another line.

Phend

Lug 1 is on the right, then going left you jump a lug to find lug 3 on the left.
Three rights don't make a right but three lefts do.
There is no such thing as a dumb question, dumb mistakes maybe harder to fix.
I think I have it ciphered out. If the pot is mounted on the bottom it will work just fine.
  • SUPPORTER+

FiveseveN

Quote from: Phend on November 21, 2022, 04:19:41 PM
Lug 1 is on the right
"Right" and "left" depend on which way you're looking at the pot. Easiest way to remember is that 1 goes to ground when using it as a standard volume control.

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Phend

Another question,
When used as a variable resistor,  what is the advantage of connecting the center (wiper) to the "unused" lug.
  • SUPPORTER+

GibsonGM

So if the wiper fails, starts to 'lift' a little, you don't get an immediate NO resistance situation with massive crackle or 100% level on what follows...it's a fail safe.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

it also stops the electrons leaking out off the unused pin. especially if mounted pins down.
don't make me draw another line.

Phend

The reason I am asking this question is that I have all the parts to build a TS 808..
Have R19 A500K, Aron mentions that one modification is to replace it with an A1M.
Don't have that but do have a C1M. Should't be an issue as a Drive adjustment ??
Thanks for all the help everyone !

• SUPPORTER+

GibsonGM

The 'feel' of the pot will just be reversed from a standard audio taper, but will work in "like" fashion, yes.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on November 22, 2022, 08:50:28 AM
it also stops the electrons leaking out off the unused pin. especially if mounted pins down.

Not a problem you have to worry about down under?  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Phend

If electrons are so small how do resistors impede their flow. .?
  • SUPPORTER+

GibsonGM

R's let tons and tons of electrons inside, where they get all SORTS of goodies. But there's only one or two checkout lanes open, so they have to wait to exit...470k and above, there are many that need a bunch of scratch tickets when they get up to the cashier, too.
  • SUPPORTER