Mids Boost on nano Big muff Pi

Started by maialopes, June 26, 2022, 06:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maialopes

Hello everybody!
Can anyone tell me a way to incresase the mid range on this version of nano Big Muff Pi?
Preferably with a simple mod... :icon_biggrin:
The idea is to cut through the mix of a band.
Thanks.

Mark Hammer

Not meant as an insult, but although the circuit is able to be modified in the way you ask, given the nature of your question, and the fact that it uses surface-mount components, I wouldn't attempt it if I were you.   It would be risky for a beginner. Better to have a working less-than-perfect pedal than a busted perfect one.

GibsonGM

An easy way to get pretty much the same thing you describe, Maialopes, is to use an EQ pedal right after the fuzz...or build some kind of mid boost to place after it...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: maialopes on June 26, 2022, 06:34:17 PM
Preferably with a simple mod... :icon_biggrin:

Unfortunately, no.. :icon_wink:

You can always search for band-pass active filter of some proper Q just to counteract for mids scoop..
But, I'd strongly suggest what Mark said..!! :icon_wink:

P.S. Welcome, also..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

maialopes

OK guys!
Appreciate your advices...
So, can you recomend me a Fuzz pedal with a good mids boost?
Thanks for all...

Mark Hammer

If you can find a non-Nano BMP that uses thru-hole components, you CAN do the desired mod.  I have a big box BMP that I've modded like that.  The standard tonestack divides the highs and lows and uses a blend control to balance how much of each.  The nature of the split is such that when they are in equal amounts, there is a "scoop" in the middle.  But *where* the scoop is can be altered by changing a single cap value.  For example, in this schematic - https://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis - the 'bass' side uses a 39k/10nf pair to begin rolling off non-bass around 408hz.  If you replaced the cap with .0047uf, that would bump the rolloff up by almost 2x to over 800hz, which would all more mid-'muscle' to your sound.

So, not very complicated at all...IF you're not working with surface mount.

iainpunk

how about building a stand alone mid booster to put after the BMP for lead/solo parts?

there are a lot of options for mid-boosted drives, distortions and fuzzes. i know a lot of people who have a Tube Screamer after their big muff to cut through.

there are also other options like an EQ of any kind.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Ben N

Rather than buy another pedal, if you have the ability to mod you have the ability to build. A lot of DIY vendors have PCBs and kits for BMPs that allow you to either modify the frequency response by substituting values or have mod controls and switches to do that sort of thing. I built one with Aion FX's board, with a mod for the AMZ-FX 'Body' control. This will be easier and more gratifying if you build it from the ground up.
  • SUPPORTER

Electron Tornado

Quote from: Ben N on June 27, 2022, 12:25:12 PM
Rather than buy another pedal, if you have the ability to mod you have the ability to build. ... This will be easier and more gratifying if you build it from the ground up.

I bought the Big Muff kit from General Guitar Gadgets, did a mid range mod as well as the "tone wicker" mod.

Sell the nano, build one from a kit.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?