Resistor values

Started by SprinkleSpraycan, July 03, 2022, 08:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SprinkleSpraycan

I want to finish a build but am short a 27r resistor. Is there a way to stack a larger size with a capacitor to come up with the same value?

MikeA

You can put two or more resistors in series, in which case their sum is the total resistance (16 + 11 = 27 for example.) Or you can put two or more in parallel, in which case the sum of their reciprocals is the reciprocal of the total resistance (62 and 47 in parallel are 26.7, which is close enough, for example.)   This calculator will let you put in your target  resistance (27 ohms) and will give you several combinations of larger resistors in parallel that will give you that.   http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-parallel.htm
  • SUPPORTER

SprinkleSpraycan

Rad. Thanks. I knew about adding in series but I didn't know I could go smaller with parallel.

antonis

Quote from: SprinkleSpraycan on July 03, 2022, 08:31:30 PM
Is there a way to stack a larger size with a capacitor to come up with the same value?

Of course you can but for a specific frequency only...

Just wire the capacitor across the resistor..
(in parallel, like MikeA told you..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

SprinkleSpraycan

Quote from: antonis on July 04, 2022, 05:19:46 AM
Quote from: SprinkleSpraycan on July 03, 2022, 08:31:30 PM
Is there a way to stack a larger size with a capacitor to come up with the same value?

Of course you can but for a specific frequency only...

Just wire the capacitor across the resistor..
(in parallel, like MikeA told you..)

So if I'm trying to reach 27r, how to I calculate which resistor and capacitor to combine? Will a capacitor create a lag time? I doubt I would hear it but I'm curious.

GibsonGM

If it is a cap and R in parallel, if you add 2 R's to get the value and bridge them with the cap, the response of the network will be identical to the original design.

If you post a pic of exactly what you're doing, we could give you a lot more precise info  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: SprinkleSpraycan on July 04, 2022, 09:41:42 AM
So if I'm trying to reach 27r, how to I calculate which resistor and capacitor to combine?

It depends on resistor values availiability..
For resistors of value bigger than 27R, you'll have to wire the capacitor in parallel where for resistors of value smaller that 27R you'll have to wire the cap in series..

Capacitors exhibit a "resistance" (Xc) calculated via Xc = 1/2πfC, where f = frequency of interest and π = 3.14..

33R // 3.3nF (at 318Hz) -> 27R

22R + 100μF (at 318Hz) -> 27R

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

WHY are we talking capacitors at ALL???

This misses the problem of "smaller resistor".

> Capacitors exhibit a "resistance" (Xc) calculated via Xc = 1/2πfC

And since "audio" covers 100:1 of frequency, this is not useful for a "resistance" problem.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: PRR on July 04, 2022, 04:16:11 PM
WHY are we talking capacitors at ALL???

Because that was OP's itch.. :icon_smile:

>Is there a way to stack a larger size with a capacitor to come up with the same value?<

pacealot

And we still don't know what fragment of what sort of circuit this resistance and/or capacitance value is applicable to....  :icon_confused:
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

GibsonGM

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 04, 2022, 11:40:07 AM
If it is a cap and R in parallel, if you add 2 R's to get the value and bridge them with the cap, the response of the network will be identical to the original design.

If you post a pic of exactly what you're doing, we could give you a lot more precise info  :)

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

Forget "capacitor".  Folks are going off on a tangent because you unwittingly mentioned capacitor in your opening post.  Mike's first reply is what you need.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Quote from: bluebunny on July 05, 2022, 05:02:55 AM
Forget "capacitor".  Folks are going off on a tangent because you unwittingly mentioned capacitor in your opening post.  Mike's first reply is what you need.

:-[  :(

bluebunny

We still love you, Antonis!   ;D
  • SUPPORTER

pacealot

(and also, perhaps the 27Ω value isn't hyper-critical and you could sub in something that's close that you already have, but we don't know because we haven't seen what circuit this applies to...)
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

bluebunny

^^ This is also a good point.  I'm guessing a value that low is part of some basic power filtering?  In which case a piece of wire would suffice for the time being.  Or any other low-value resistor you have to hand (<100R).  Show us the schematic and we'll know for sure.
  • SUPPORTER

SprinkleSpraycan

Wow! Such enthusiasm. It's for an OCD clone. The adhd from pedalpcb. It is the first resistor after the diode at the incoming 9v. I used a 51r in parallel with 47r as those where the values I had in hand that was closer to the calculator. Pedal sounds great and thanks to everyone. I said capacitor not knowing I could use resistors in parallel. I've only been doing this since November so every project is a new learning experience.

SprinkleSpraycan

Looks good too. I went a more aggressive direction than the fulltone art.

bluebunny

Quote from: SprinkleSpraycan on July 05, 2022, 08:02:02 PM
It is the first resistor after the diode at the incoming 9v.

Yep, part of the power conditioning.  Your solution fits the bill (the value isn't critical).  Good that you've got it all working to your liking.  Nice build.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: bluebunny on July 06, 2022, 04:04:15 AM
Your solution fits the bill (the value isn't critical).

I suppose OP would like to know WHY particular resistor value isn't critical.. :icon_wink:
(after all, he declared that: "every project is a new learning experience."..)

So Marc, could you plz give us some info about power supply LPF (R20/C11) and Vcc voltage (compared to (+)) regarding circuit's current consumption..?? :icon_mrgreen: