Volume control for Cornish Treble Booster

Started by Sparky, September 29, 2022, 10:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

Anybody slap a volume control at the end of the TB-83 Treble Booster?   It wouldn't hurt to have a bit more control over this circuit.

GibsonGM

I'd throw a 100kA pot in place of R10, and take the output from the wiper.   That's a pretty high-octane boost, no wonder it needs a volume pot!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

I second sir Mike's suggestion but for 10k pot.. :icon_wink:
(no "character" altered..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Sparky

My first thought was to just wire a 100K pot right at the end of the circuit before the output jack.
What is the function of C7 and R10?  Are they needed?

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on September 30, 2022, 06:01:04 AM
I second sir Mike's suggestion but for 10k pot.. :icon_wink:
(no "character" altered..)

a coffee for antonis. R10 is shown 47k - we'd just replace that with an A50k and take the OUT from the wipe, would we not?
don't make me draw another line.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on September 30, 2022, 11:39:10 AM
a coffee for antonis. R10 is shown 47k - we'd just replace that with an A50k and take the OUT from the wipe, would we not?

A hard day for Antonis  today..  8)

Yeaaarr.. What Stephen said..!! :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: Sparky on September 30, 2022, 11:37:34 AM
What is the function of C7 and R10?

They form a HPF together with C6..
(C7/R10 resonance at 720Hz..)

Without C7, C6/R10 HPF would have a corner frequency of 72 Hz (all guitar frequencies passed through) where now it has a variable corner frequency according to (XC7//R10) / (XC7//R10 + XC6) = 1/2, where XC = 0.159 / (C*f)

Sparky

I had a 250K pot handy so I put it at the end of the circuit before the output jack and it seems to be working well.   I don't know what the difference in sound would be if I swapped a 50k pot for R10.

antonis

Quote from: Sparky on September 30, 2022, 03:18:49 PM
I had a 250K pot handy so I put it at the end of the circuit before the output jack and it seems to be working well.   I don't know what the difference in sound would be if I swapped a 50k pot for R10.

IMHO, minor difference..

250k Volume pot is set in parallel with 50k resistor resulting into 41k6 equivalent resistance which offsets upwards HPF's corner frequency by 20%..

m4268588

R10, R11, C6, and C7 networks are Wien bridge BPF.
Transfer function is
(I've written about this BPF in past, but you can't read Japanese, right?)

"720Hz" is nowhere to be found. It's a meaningless calculation.

Simplified calculations.

• Fc(HPF) = 1/(2*pi*(R11+R10)*C6)
  • Fc(LP)F = 1/(2*pi*(R11||R10)*C7)
More sloppy.

• Fc(HPF) = 1/(2*pi*R10*C6)
  • Fc(LPF) = 1/(2*pi*R11*C7)
However, only when rising

Lino22

Can you just place 50k pot where the 50k resistor is?
When the core started to glow and people started yelling, he promptly ran out the door and up a nearby hill.

Sparky

Quote from: Lino22 on October 01, 2022, 03:43:29 AM
Can you just place 50k pot where the 50k resistor is?

Yup, Gibson and Duck Arse mentioned that.  I don't have any 50 K pots so I tried puting a 250 K pot at the end of the circuit.  It works [as far as a volume control] but I was just not sure if it's affecting the tone.

Lino22

It won't. Combining a pot with a resistor in parallel is an old trick. It together creates a log taper. That's why you should use a linear pot, if you use a log, you will get a super log. Also, the bigger is the pot than the resistor, the more log taper is the result.
Also, the bigger the volume pot, the bigger gets the output resistance when it is turned down to some extend. I would go for the 50k replacement if you eventually have a chance to get one.
When the core started to glow and people started yelling, he promptly ran out the door and up a nearby hill.

GibsonGM

I assumed the R would be removed and replaced with a pot, but yes...that would make the response dependent on pot setting.  Half the filter would be variable lol.  I said 100k just cuz we all seem to have them around, but yeah - a log pot might act strange with the 50k resistor there! 

Maybe they didn't include a vol pot because of this?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: m4268588 on October 01, 2022, 01:14:41 AM
"720Hz" is nowhere to be found. It's a meaningless calculation.

If it's meaningless for you, it's more than OK with me.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
Maybe I'm wrong but knowledge demonstration isn't quite on the point for a plain query about a simple CE amp..
There are many guys here who could analyze it according to hybrid-π, T-model or h-parameter (including parameters like rb and rμ) but you can see that they don't do it.. :icon_wink:

As for the BPF, your analysis is sketchy 'cause ro (BJT Collector output resistance) is omitted..