Author Topic: Test Run of 200 Guitar distortion pedals  (Read 1201 times)

Rob Strand

Re: Test Run of 200 Guitar distortion pedals
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 09:48:07 PM »
I did some bootweaking the last couple years and learned some interesting lessons.  I could offer these tips I didn't know at the beginning
Great info.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -

Vivek

• Awesome!
  • Do good for others, good will happen to you !
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 05:05:16 AM »
I did some bootweaking the last couple years and learned some interesting lessons.  I could offer these tips I didn't know at the beginning:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience !

Ice-9

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 06:20:28 AM »
I have been building and selling pedals now for about 9 years as a small business.

I do the same as noted in an earlier post by having x amount of PCB's for each pedal part assembled with as many as possible of the SMD components, then hand solder any components that the PCB fab doesn't stock and also hand solder all the through hole components myself.

My enclosures are all prepared in my shed on a modified CNC Router that I customised and then the enclosure is powder coated, again with an inexpensive hobby powder coating kit. I then silk screen the enclosures which is one of the bits I hate doing myself as it is time consuming and messy.

I would love to invest in a UV direct to substate printer in the future to save me from the silk screen printing.

Making the pedals this way is more time consuming but it also means that the outlay isn't as big because although I would have say 200 PCBs ordered and part assembled I would only buy the other parts in smaller numbers as I need them to fulfil orders rather than have 200 sets of everything lying around on the shelves.

It would be good to an all in one service and have pedals fully built by using an outside source and this would work very well if you already know that your full batch of 200 are already sold. (something like a kickstarter project would be good for that).

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.