Fun with chips not made for this...

Started by Ripthorn, July 15, 2022, 11:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripthorn

A couple months ago I was just cruising through Tayda's special function IC's just for fun. I came across a frequency-to-voltage converter chip used for tachometers, speed governors, etc. "Well" though I, "What if I were to play with these for frequency dependent effects in a pedal?". I got a few in and decided that I would design one in to my Aeronometron pedal. The output for the converter is used to determine the speed of LFO modulation so that lower frequencies have a slower rate and higher frequencies a higher one. I also experimented with things like depth and such and there are tons of possibilities there. What other chips have you guys played with that aren't "meant" for this?

Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

EBK

Quote from: Ripthorn on July 15, 2022, 11:06:38 AM
What other chips have you guys played with that aren't "meant" for this?
I used a LM3914 LED bar graph display driver chip as the main component of an audio multiplexer in my Creaky Floor design.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

phasetrans

Quote from: EBK on July 15, 2022, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: Ripthorn on July 15, 2022, 11:06:38 AM
What other chips have you guys played with that aren't "meant" for this?
I used a LM3914 LED bar graph display driver chip as the main component of an audio multiplexer in my Creaky Floor design.

Have you tried a 3914 to engage a range of clipping elements, or filters? On my list of things to try.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: phasetrans on July 16, 2022, 09:25:58 AM
Have you tried a 3914 to engage a range of clipping elements, or filters? On my list of things to try.
That does sound interesting.  I do have on my drawing board a plan to use one for a sample-and-hold/pseudo-bitcrusher type of thing. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.