Using plastic 6,3mm jacks in a non PCB pedal build

Started by ironman180, July 18, 2022, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironman180

Hello everyone!
Can someone tell me if it is possible to use those PCB mounted jacks inside a pedal that is built on stripboard, what would be the proper way to ground them to enclosure since they are plastic. I bought a few pieces of Neutrik ones and can't find an elegant solution for this problem. I posted a photo of the jack.

Thank you for your answers!

stallik

They are commonly used. It's necessary to connect the ground terminals for input and output together as you can't rely on the enclosure to do that (though it's still good practice to do so with metal sockets in case one comes loose)
The enclosure can be grounded via a tab washer firmly secured to the box though I've sometimes done it via a pot (cos I'm lazy)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

merlinb

Processaurus

Quote from: stallik on July 18, 2022, 04:46:56 PM
They are commonly used. It's necessary to connect the ground terminals for input and output together as you can't rely on the enclosure to do that (though it's still good practice to do so with metal sockets in case one comes loose)
The enclosure can be grounded via a tab washer firmly secured to the box though I've sometimes done it via a pot (cos I'm lazy)

Yes, I do the same. Ground wire with a round lug crimped or soldered on, held to the bottom cover with a toothed lockwasher, screw and nut. The toothed lockwasher is important because it digs through the die cast surface, which isn't always perfectly conductive. The regular enclosure screws complete the circuit with the main enclosure, as long as there isn't any paint in the countersink for the screw. Of the powdercoated enclosures, I've only seen Hammond go to the trouble of drilling out the paint, the others, it's up to you to do it. I used a countersink drill bit for a while, but a regular drill bit that is a little bigger than the diameter of the screw head works better, it leaves the screw pocket lip intact. 

iainpunk

i poke a thin-ish bare wire through the hole of one of the interface parts, mostly the 3pdt, and follow it by whatever i put in, and tighten the nut. then i solder the wire to a ''star ground'' point in my pedal.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

ironman180

Quote from: iainpunk on July 19, 2022, 09:56:17 AM
i poke a thin-ish bare wire through the hole of one of the interface parts, mostly the 3pdt, and follow it by whatever i put in, and tighten the nut. then i solder the wire to a ''star ground'' point in my pedal.

cheers
Tried this and it works great. It also looks very clean. Thanks!

iainpunk

friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers