Replacing vintage EHX pots. Source?

Started by Rodgre, July 21, 2022, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

Hi all.

I just got a vintage Polychorus with a broken shaft on the RATE control, which is a 2M log taper with a nylon D shaft. I have a couple of options, but not sure where to find what I need.

I could just replace the shaft, if I can find a similar pot of a different value. (I don't think I have one).
I could replace the entire pot, either with an exact replacement (best case scenario), a different size pot with a D shaft, or any standard pot with a solid shaft and just use a different knob (visually, not ideal, but I really mostly care about the function).

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Is there a source I haven't found yet for D shaft pots?

Thank you!

Roger

mozz

• SUPPORTER

PRR

2Meg is rare. 2M Log/Audio is even rarer.

Tube Depot has 2Meg LINEAR D-shaft. Your action will be cramped-up in half the rotation. For Volume you may be able to slug it, but not for rate.

Figure out who made the pot, get whatever value with your type shaft, and transfer parts around.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Wait a sec. Is this your Polychorus?

Replace the 2Meg rheostat connection with a potentiometer connection. Now you can use any low-value audio pot. The ground stopper should be about 1/100ths of the pot value.

• SUPPORTER

j_flanders

Quote from: Rodgre on July 21, 2022, 02:41:14 PM
standard pot with a solid shaft and just use a different knob
I have used these knobs when I had to replace pots on vintage EHX stuff:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/Black-Knurled-Pointer.html
They look identical. They are set screw though.

In case I had to replace the faulty pot with a 6mm, knurled split shaft, I used this adapter, which works great:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/Axis-Adaptor-6-0-to-6-3mm.html

Rodgre

Unfortunately my Polychorus doesn't use the earlier Davies style knobs like Banzai sells. It's got the sort of hockey-puck style knobs.

Roger