Russian ГТ308 , 1Т308 Ge transistors

Started by malachi, January 26, 2015, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malachi

I am looking for help understanding what a vender from Bulgaria is trying convey about a 5 lot of these ГТ308 , 1Т308 transistors I purchased. The spec sheet, http://www.5v.ru/ds/trnz/gt308.htm I thought indicated a gain of 50 - 120 just as I thought his listing indicated, "Static current gain of a bipolar transistor in the common-emitter: (50... 120)". So, and listen, these were like $5.00 shipped so it is not about the money, I have put more than that in a dancers underwe*$^  err, I mean I have lost that much playing a game of pool with no hard feelings, I simply want to get a better understanding of what I am paying some European parts jockey when they post an ad and I think I can't live without a Bonamassa fuzz face. Anyway, when I got them this weekend, I measured them the Keen way, and the Small Bear way and even the Malachi way which is kind of a hybrid of the two and no matter how I looked at the meter and did the math, it always came with 30, 31, 31, 30 and one that was 35.4 hfe. I'll note that the trannies all had the dot which I believe indicates the Emitter and the first four were red while the last was black. I mention that because of the little higher gain it measured out at. Needless to say, there was disappointed mixed with undeserved hatred for the vender but after a momentary lapse of reason, I just wrote and asked if he had maybe sent me the ones that had previously been sold and returned a few times for not being as advertised to which he replied, and I quote.

" We still only 5 transistors of this type and we are ready to send them to you. I have a question for you. The gain of the transistor strongly depends on the mode to be measured (Ik). The table which gives the manufacturer (http: www.5v.ru/ds/trnz/gt308.htm) is written that measured H21 at 10 mA collector current. Then the coefficient H21 must be 50. In what mode you make measurements? Please response? BR - Konstantin".

So it wouldn't be too difficult to out wit me on a Monday or he thinks I'm a real Dumb Arse, either way, I don't know what I have in these transistors. Are they any good, for anything, and if so, what, or should I just cut my loss at $5.00 and move on with life or possibly, just possibly, if you look at these Russian transistors, from Bulgarian eyes on an Amercian's DMM, is he correct? I know this is long winded, my apologies but there is a genuine curiosity about this if anyone could help. Thanks

italianguy63

I babbled a whole thread on this.

Published Hfe is almost always vague and lower on Russians.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=108054.0

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

malachi

thanks a lot, I'll give that a going over and see if I can find any answers, I appreciate your reply. In the mean time, did find a use for them?

italianguy63

I use many varieties in Fuzzes... I am hunting other projects to use more of them!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Kipper4

I was certain that Chromosphere (Paul) did some stuff with those trannies.
I'd have a hunt around.
If all else fails use them as clipping diodes in a feedback loop.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

italianguy63

I use the GT308"B" in Q1 in a good many of my Fuzzes.  It is lower Hfe, but low leak and low noise.  It makes for a "mellow" sounding fuzz.  But you still need a higher gain/leak one in Q2 to get it going.  I assume the GT308 is very similar to the GT308B.. But, I don't know for sure.

MC

electrosonic

• SUPPORTER

DrAlx

The hfe for those trannies is spec'd at much higher current than you'd have in an average Fuzz, so the seller makes a valid point.
I posted Info on the Russian datasheet here...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=108518.msg989605#msg989605

malachi

Thanks a lot guys, the spec'd sheet, though in Russian does indicate the gain at those current values, I have no doubts about it but I do think there is most certainly a cultural variant in what we, us DIY'rs buy components for and what those guys are selling. I own the mistake, it was just a curiosity as to what I might do with them, understand how not to make the same mistake twice and try to humor my way out of a rather impulsive buy for what, another fuzz pedal, and heaven knows I need another one, so I get it. I have been tinkering with the Small Bear "Oh my darl'n" Darlington, I just like the pin striped pedal I think. So thanks far the replies. I'll be more careful about those Eastern Block components, (insert worn out commie joke here) In Soviet Russia, the Germanium transistor biases you! I'm glad I didn't buy 400 of these though,  :icon_eek:

Finom1

Hello,

I found someone on eBay selling the + 50pcs 1T308V ~ 2N2048 (Russian1Т308B) - Germanium vintage transistor USSR - https://www.ebay.com/itm/174668870744

I contacted him, and he said he has one lot left that is not listed at this time. Just email him and he will provide information.

Dmytro, is great to talk to and has a lot to offer on his ebay store. The price is right!!!

brett

These are generally very good.
Lowish gain, but very low leakage and quiet.
Leakage is so low you can usually ignore it (19 times out of 20?  49 times out of 50?).
One or two in 100 arrive dead, and 10 in 100 have low hFE (around 40 at Ic of 1mA).  The low hFE examples are good in the FZ-1 and FZ-1a circuits.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)