Fuzz Bender DIY does no fuzz, or sound

Started by matopotato, May 24, 2022, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matopotato

Quote from: antonis on May 27, 2022, 06:28:51 AM
Quote from: matopotato on May 27, 2022, 05:48:15 AM
Pin 1 also runs off to the left in the layout to link, 10k, link before stop. Maybe cut it both sides to isolation?

On a second glance, it should be more complicated 'cause by cutting Q-15 track pad, you effectivelly cut the power for almost half of the circuit..
(you'll need pin 1 both sides cut and some kind of D2 cathode / Q-12 jumpering (under 100μF cap)

Before doing any layout mod, verify proper (-)9V output..
Then, check for +4.5V at E - 6/7/8/10 track pads..
IC3 is socketed, so I might be able to test by bending that pin1 leg away from circulation. For test at least before any cutting and jumpering.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

antonis

Quote from: matopotato on May 27, 2022, 08:12:52 AM
IC3 is socketed, so I might be able to test by bending that pin1 leg away from circulation. For test at least before any cutting and jumpering.

Of course you can do that.. :icon_wink:

But, as I said before, verify -9V and +4.5V presence firstly..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

matopotato

Quote from: antonis on May 27, 2022, 08:19:59 AM

Check  ;)

matopotato

Quote from: antonis on May 27, 2022, 08:19:59 AM

Sorry for the late update.
I went through the build again and confirmed connectivity throughout. I lifted pin 1 on the IC3/1044. (and put the build last in chain) and it just squealed. Put the pin back in and remembered Germanium wants to be early on, so put it in solo. Squealing gone, but I did not test with the pin 1 out again.
Now it works! Well at l least I get Fuzz in some settings, but it is quite sensitive to the Bias/Gate and level of Fuzz. But I think that is how it should be. Another forum it was mentioned that the Bias+Fuzz might not be all useful in full sweeps, so I will take this as it is working. There is a volume or tone drop in the bias knob, but that has also been mentioned and I will not worry.

I did measure IC3 pin 8 having 9V, but not negative as you wrote earlier. Pin 5 had -2.7V (ish). And E rail 6-10 has +4.45V as the R22, Gate 2. So I will take it as confirmation.
Considering I am getting Fuzz out of it, all knobs do "something".
I had a few Ge NPN from 70's TV sets and radios so I have been A/B-ing to find one that sounds (to me) the best. AC176K is big, but that adds to the mojo (imho).
Only worry is that the IC3/1044 gets quite hot. Not burning but enough to not want to touch it for too long. The 4558s IC1 and IC2 also get a bit warm. This seems to be the case when power is plugged in regardless of circuit bypassed or not. The stomp breakout board I use likely feeds 9V to the power section regardless the way things look.
Is it normal that the ICs get quite hot?

EDIT: I did go back and test Pin1 on IC3/1044 in or out with only the FB in the chain and with Pin1 lifted there is high pitched squeal in bypass and in Fuzz mode as well although it kind of drowns out. With pin1 engaged, no squeal, so I feel that sorts "pin1 on IC3" out for me.

EDIT2: I disconnected Gate 3 wire that according to Layout goes between Gate 3 lug and 1044 (I use TC1044S). I cannot tell any difference in sound, but the heat is quite a bit less on the ICs. S oI think I will keep it as in the schematics where Gate 3 lug goes to "X".

I wanted to change the topic header to "RE-SOLVED:" in front, but was not able to.

antonis

Quote from: matopotato on July 26, 2022, 06:50:51 AM
I wanted to change the topic header to "RE-SOLVED:" in front, but was not able to.

@Stephen: Client abroad..!! :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

matopotato

Quote from: antonis on July 26, 2022, 03:20:59 PM
Quote from: matopotato on July 26, 2022, 06:50:51 AM

@Stephen: Client abroad..!! :icon_wink:
???

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

matopotato

Sorry, still don't understand what the two of you are talking about  :(

antonis

duck_arse

Quote from: matopotato on July 27, 2022, 04:24:55 PM
Sorry, still don't understand what the two of you are talking about  :(

when you do, give us a clue, willyah?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

matopotato

Yes, I think Antonis clarified that a request was sent to admin about changing the overall header. If/When I can, I like to indicate if a thread is still an open question or if it is a closed case so those who scan by can make quick decisions on what to read.
I will test today with 4 Ge NPN to find the preferred one.
I tried to build a 3pin socket on wires to set the transistors on a breadboard and quickly swap, but (again) I realized that Ge is senstive to cable-lengths. It just didn't work. (Had similar experience with a modded Tone Vendor MKI).