Beware cheap patchcords & tight builds!

Started by Toy Sun, July 29, 2022, 02:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Sun

I'm a hardware snob and love me some Neutrik and Switchcraft for critical use, but the last few years I'm more of a home player, so I am open to 6 packs of cheap molded patchcords for around the house.

I also love tight builds and top mounted jacks. I frequently get myself into some grounding out issues when I box everything up and well, it's been an adventure.

I recently tracked an issue that was caused by a plug that was a good 3mm too long! Crazy. It functioned, but was actually distorting the tip contact part of the jack and causing all kinds of havoc with my build. Took a while to realize what the problem was.

Thought I'd share this with the forum, I had a photo but somehow misplaced it. I'll still go for the cheapos, but I'm going to check them on arrival.

John

GibsonGM

I'm sure NOBODY here has ever boxed up a project that worked in testing, and gone crazy trying to find out what happened. Only to find out an hour later...that their patch cord was dead (or dead battery, or....)   :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

aron

amptramp

In these pages we have seen some remarkably compact builds like a phaser or flanger in a 1590A but these used printed circuit boards and a parts list that was consistent with small size.  Some used SMD.  But if you are building something experimental or new, I recommend a larger enclosure and quality jacks.  I have some old-school fish paper for insulation but duct tape is probably a better idea because you know it stays stuck down wherever it is used.

As for a 1/4 inch plug that is too long, that's a new one on me.

Toy Sun

Found the photo - Should've held a ruler up to it to be more professional but I think the picture tells it all

stallik

I've seen moulded plugs come out too short and too long but 3mm? That's taking the mickey!

Today, I've mostly been replacing a foot switch in a pedal because every time I pressed it, it shorted my ps and everything went off. Got through 2 new switches before realising that the issue was under the pedalboard. It doesn't matter how good my components are, they're always beaten by stupidity
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein