soda meiser strip board oscillation - please help

Started by SprinkleSpraycan, July 30, 2022, 10:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SprinkleSpraycan

Built the circuit exactly like the effector layout but with the transistor flip switch like the second layout. however i didnt land the transistor on the switch like its shown. i added two cuts and spaces so i could land it on the board. Everything went smoothly and i tested it with only the +/- leads left to land. Everything worked perfectly. I landed the +/- leads and nothing works. the chaos switch (when set to remove the capacitor) just creates oscillation. I took it out of the box and re wet all the connections. Everything works great now except there is still oscillation. where do i go from here?
I have given up and started over so many times on this thing and thought i finally had it. so so so so so frustrated.

moid

You have my sympathy! I built one of these many years ago (a variant using a different layout that had two switches, one of which was the chaos switch) and I've never understood if the noise it makes it what was intended or my terrible soldering / misunderstanding of the layout! There is one configuration of the two switches that sounds awesome, but every other setting is brutal oscillating noise... I kept the pedal and use it whenever I need something to generate crazy noise sounds and at some point I really should try to make one again and see if it actually works...

Anyway, have you tried knifing the thin strips between the metal stripes on the PCB? I've sometimes splashed a near microscopic hair of solder across one strip to another another and that has caused many problems in the past. Run a knife blae down the gaps between the metal strips to ensure there aren't any random connections.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

SprinkleSpraycan

Great. Thanks. I actually made 2 more cuts in the board to completely isolate the cap when the chaos switch lifts it and problem solved. Strip board is a real pain....what we do for fuzz.

moid

Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes