DC jack external vs internal

Started by matopotato, August 17, 2022, 11:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matopotato

I usually get DC jacks that have the screw/nut (?) go on from the inside of the pedal. It means once soldered in place, I have to de-solder in case I want to remove the circuit again.
I got a few external ones where the screw goes on on the outside, but the "internal" ones look a bit nicer and have a slightly smaller diameter/takes less space.
Does anyone have a good tip on how to avoid soldering in place until all is verified and still get the 9V in from the power bank/wall wart?
Maybe taping on a battery clip to the wires without soldering is the best way, but maybe some other type of crimp? tape? etc solution is out there.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

Mark Hammer

Personally, I prefer the "outie" versus the "innie".  Not just because they are easier to install, but also because they take up less room internally, which affords more flexibility about where to install the power jack.

Consider using a small two-conductor Molex connector, in-line, that would let you simply unplug the power jack from the board, as well as install it, on its own, and then easily connect it to the board.

vigilante397

I use these when I'm verifying circuits that aren't ready to be permanently boxed yet. They have screw terminals so no soldering/desoldering necessary. Once the circuit has been verified I just loosen the screws, throw the board in the box, and solder up the actual jack. The only thing to keep in mind is that these jacks are center positive polarity, so you need to swap the +/- on the terminals when using a center negative pedal power supply.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

matopotato

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 17, 2022, 12:08:13 PM
I use these when I'm verifying circuits that aren't ready to be permanently boxed yet. They have screw terminals so no soldering/desoldering necessary. Once the circuit has been verified I just loosen the screws, throw the board in the box, and solder up the actual jack. The only thing to keep in mind is that these jacks are center positive polarity, so you need to swap the +/- on the terminals when using a center negative pedal power supply.

Thanks, will try and find one.

matopotato

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 17, 2022, 11:40:21 AM
Personally, I prefer the "outie" versus the "innie".  Not just because they are easier to install, but also because they take up less room internally, which affords more flexibility about where to install the power jack.

Consider using a small two-conductor Molex connector, in-line, that would let you simply unplug the power jack from the board, as well as install it, on its own, and then easily connect it to the board.
Thanks.
My "outies" tend to be big, but found one same as "innie"
Molex is a good option if I can't track down the one in the recent picture.

Rodgre

Quote from: matopotato on August 17, 2022, 12:37:06 PM

Thanks, will try and find one.

Search for Velleman connectors. I use these regularly as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-CD022-5-5X2-1mm-Screw-Terminal/dp/B00GULAXYG

Roger

Kevin Mitchell

For this reason I use a 2-pin wafer connectors to connect power jacks to my boards.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

ElectricDruid

This looks very cool, and I might try and find one and give it a try, but another option no-one has mentioned is simple crocodile clips on the power leads. It's not anything like permanent, but it's ok for testing. Once you know it's ok, you can box it up and solder the DC jack up.

matopotato

Quote from: ElectricDruid on August 17, 2022, 02:07:09 PM

This looks very cool, and I might try and find one and give it a try, but another option no-one has mentioned is simple crocodile clips on the power leads. It's not anything like permanent, but it's ok for testing. Once you know it's ok, you can box it up and solder the DC jack up.
Thanks!
But how to connect crocs to the wall wart dc plug?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: matopotato on August 17, 2022, 04:24:51 PM

Thanks!
You've got 2.1mm sockets for your pedal projects already, right? And a soldering iron? So all you're missing is wire and crocodile clips! Basically what I'm suggesting is building a thing a bit like Vigilante posted, except with croc clips wired to the socket instead of screw terminals. To be honest, you could build something like he posted with screw terminals using a bit of mains lighting terminal strip and a basic jack socket wired in the other side. It should be dead simple. Don't let's make this complicated.

matopotato

Quote from: ElectricDruid on August 17, 2022, 06:54:46 PM
Quote from: matopotato on August 17, 2022, 04:24:51 PM

Thanks!
You've got 2.1mm sockets for your pedal projects already, right? And a soldering iron? So all you're missing is wire and crocodile clips! Basically what I'm suggesting is building a thing a bit like Vigilante posted, except with croc clips wired to the socket instead of screw terminals. To be honest, you could build something like he posted with screw terminals using a bit of mains lighting terminal strip and a basic jack socket wired in the other side. It should be dead simple. Don't let's make this complicated.
Thanks, think I got it.
Right, no need to complicate things. I guess English not being my native language makes me re-ask things a bit much.
Cheers

ElectricDruid

Quote from: matopotato on August 18, 2022, 03:09:03 AM
I guess English not being my native language makes me re-ask things a bit much.
No problem. If you're not sure, ask. We can alway try and make things clearer.

Aside from the language thing, there's people with a lot of different experience levels on this site too, so sometimes people post something and assume more background knowledge than the asker might actually have. The only way to know is for people to query things they don't understand, so don't worry about it.

matopotato

Quote from: ElectricDruid on August 18, 2022, 07:15:19 AM
Quote from: matopotato on August 18, 2022, 03:09:03 AM
I guess English not being my native language makes me re-ask things a bit much.
No problem. If you're not sure, ask. We can alway try and make things clearer.

Aside from the language thing, there's people with a lot of different experience levels on this site too, so sometimes people post something and assume more background knowledge than the asker might actually have. The only way to know is for people to query things they don't understand, so don't worry about it.
Thanks! No worries  ;)

matopotato

Check 😉
Thanks @vigilante397 for the tip

Lino22

I like the internal nut way better:
1. The nut is plastic and won't get loose.
2. You won't scratch the paint while tightening it.

If this is meant just for one project, you won't destroy it by heat.
Just solder a wire on each lug, and use them till you are happy with it :)
When the core started to glow and people started yelling, he promptly ran out the door and up a nearby hill.

matopotato

Quote from: Lino22 on August 18, 2022, 03:05:44 PM
I like the internal nut way better:
1. The nut is plastic and won't get loose.
2. You won't scratch the paint while tightening it.

If this is meant just for one project, you won't destroy it by heat.
Just solder a wire on each lug, and use them till you are happy with it :)
Thanks, nuts are metal on both of my inner and outer ones.

EDIT: Just realized what you meant by plastic. Pls ignore my comment above.

matopotato

All pimped up and ready to serve.