pre-drilled enclosure

Started by MordechaiBenZev, August 17, 2022, 05:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MordechaiBenZev

After a few days of really trying -- and really failing -- to drill my enclosures by hand, I just give up. I do not have the motor skills to do this, no doubt related to some recent neurological issues I've been dealing with for the last year and a half.

Anyway...instead of destroying more enclosures, I am wondering if anybody can help me source a pre-drilled enclosure that looks like this:

I've been having trouble sourcing a pre-drilled enclosure like this (3 knobs, two stomp switches, two LEDs, jacks mounted as pictured), but I really cannot continue to waste money not to mention induce more anxiety by ruining more enclosures trying to drill this project myself.

I'd appreciate any help, very much. 

Locrian99

Have you looked at the pre drilled option on tayda?   I haven't ever used it, you may be able to go to pedal pcb and find a tayda drill template file that would work ?   Just an idea. 

ElectricDruid

I don't know about your motor skills, but more likely you don't have the right tools. I notice you don't mention *how* you've been trying to do this. If you've been trying to do it with a hand-drill and a bunch of masonry bits, then no wonder that it hasn't been working! The best motor skills won't create magic in a bad situation.

More seriously, getting stuff well fixed down and using sharp tools makes a lot of difference. Trying to drill aluminium enclosures by hand without them being well clamped down to something really heavy is a recipe for disaster- the drill snags, the enclosure starts to spin around and everything goes to sh!t. Ask me how I know...

A better plan is a proper pillar drill, a decent clamp for the workpiece, and sharp and appropriate drill bits. Like that, you have a lot less problems.

Myself, I don't have this either, but I manage by using a guide hole and step bits (they make a huge difference!) and keeping the box clamped to something heavy so it can't move about. With a bit of care, I can mostly avoid expensive and/or dangerous accidents!

Mark Hammer

1) Tayda has a wide assortment of predrilled enclosures...however they are all oriented the "other" way.

2) Invest in a spring-loaded centre-punch.  A nice little dimple in the enclosure will help to center the drill bit and keep it from wandering

stallik

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 17, 2022, 06:22:28 PM
2) Invest in a spring-loaded centre-punch.  A nice little dimple in the enclosure will help to center the drill bit and keep it from wandering

Agreed. Cover the top of the enclosure in masking tape, mark it out with a ruler and square, use the centre punch and start with a small drill bit for every hole. No centre punch, no alignment.

I also like tapered reamers to widen the holes
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

MordechaiBenZev

Thank you all.

I have a center punch and have been using it.  I also have a clamp.  I do not have a drill press; purchasing relatively large equipment is a source of difficult tension between myself and the person who shares a home with me, who is not terribly keen on this pastime of mine.

My neurological issue significantly impedes motor skills requiring the use of my forearm.  Oddly enough I can play guitar without a problem or do delicate things like use a soldering iron, but anything more substantial like drilling is virtually hopeless right now.  To be honest, it's rather depressing.

GibsonGM

You CAN fix holes in enclosures using JB Weld or similar epoxy, I've had to do that a couple times (having drilled too large a hole etc). I know hole alignment was hopeless for me til I got a drill press.   The advantage is that you need no pilot hole.  But yeah, they are an investment!  Used ones aren't too bad.
We'll have to think on it, what are the alternatives for you?

One thought might be that if you can somehow clamp a piece of straight stock across the box, maybe 3/4"x3/4", you could use that with a hand drill to keep your pilot holes aligned (after center punching). Maybe a 1/8" bit.  Then follow up with a step bit or larger bit....?  Use it as a leaning rail of sorts...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

soggybag

Get a drill press. They don't have a very large foot print. You can get just about the smallest you can find if you're just drilling enclosures. They are not too expensive either.

Here's the techniques I use to get holes in the right place.

Invest in some hand tools. Punch, small round file, and reamer.

- mark with a punch
- Drill a pilot hole with a smaller diameter
- check your work. Identify where the center should be and how far off the hole you have is.
- use the file to even things up. You can work the hole into an oval, that's okay, just get the center in the right location.
- then open the hole with the reamer. It should center itself as you work.

The standard enclosures are pretty soft material and not hard to work with hand tools.

Having a drill press is a huge help and time saver. Even with a press things can be off by a bit, I can always get these back on track with hand tools and a few minutes work.

ElectricDruid

Banzai Music have quite a lot of pre-drilled enclosures in this format, but I didn't see any *exactly* like you wanted:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/125B-Size-drilled/

If you could get close, could you manage to add a couple of holes reasonably well?

idy

What about a friend whose arm functions normally? Pretty small favor to drill a few holes... Maybe you can build him pedal!

moid

Muzikding used to drill enclosures; when I first started making pedals about 8 years ago I didn't have a drill so I got them to drill them for me... I don't know if they still do this, I couldn't find any info about it on their site. The quality wasn't amazing; I soon bought a drill of my own. On the good side they totally screwed one order for me and sent me a load of enclosures that weren't what I ordered and told me to keep them while they made me some new ones... which started me along the idea of adding mods to existing circuits because the enclosures they sent had too many holes and I didn't know what else to do with them, so tried to find reasons to add extra switches and pots!
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

DIY Bass

Tayda used to do custom drilling.  I am not sure what sort of information you need to give them though.  Might need some form of CAD file?  Their website would specify.

Mark Hammer

Most high schools will have a metal shop, that includes a drill press.  Get to know someone affiliated with a school in your area and perhaps they won't mind popping a few holes for you, free of charge.

Rob Strand

As per soggybag's recommendation: 
- Center mark (traditionally with a center punch but you don't have to use a punch.)
- Pilot hole
- Larger hole
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

bluebunny

Are there any (old fellas') Makerspaces near you?  Not only would they have the tools you need, but they would have folks on-hand to help if need be.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Invertiguy

I can definitely vouch for Tayda's drilling service, I tried it out earlier this year and it was very easy to use with very nice results. They also drill before powdercoating so there's no risk of the finish getting marred by metal shavings as has happened to me when drilling enclosures at home (although the risk diminishes significantly if you mask off the enclosure beforehand).

If you insist on drilling at home, however, having the right tools will take you a long way. A drill press is obviously the best solution but it's not absolutely necessary, I've gotten away with using a hand drill with a step bit for years now with mostly good results. The key is definitely to carefully mark your hole locations with a center punch (the spring loaded ones are nice, but a hammer and a sharp nail will do in a pinch) and then drill a pilot hole before moving on to a step bit to get it to the final size. Also, as others have said, proper clamping/fixturing is really important. Not only will it help with drilling accuracy but it could also save your fingers. It's not fun to be holding the enclosure when the drill catches and rips it out of your grip!

soggybag

Don’t under estimate patience. Spending some time planning always pays so returns!

Be prepared to make a few mistakes and possibly ruin a few enclosures. I have box of bad drill jobs and mistakes. I use these for experiments and practice.

The hand tools can often save a bad drill job.

thedoogster

https://www.keechdesign.com/ has an excellent selection of drill templates!

davent

High quality sharp bits can go a long way in improving the results you're going to get, don't scimp on drill bits.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Processaurus

How about marking up the box (masking tape or whatever) going over to a buddy/acquaintance's house that has a drill press, who could center punch and drill out the holes for you? Perfect excuse to hang out or get to know someone better.

Do you own a step bit? You need one for drilling big holes in metal.