Emptying a PCB etching tank

Started by Widows, October 04, 2022, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widows

Hi everyone. I recently joined a local maker community to get access to some of the tools I have no space for at home, one of which is a PCB etching tank.

Problem is it's not been used in a while and the etchant that's in there is old and weak and does nothing to the copper board I want to etch. I need to empty the thing out so I can put a fresh batch of etching solution in there but no idea if there's a process for emptying it beyond just tipping it up and pouring the etching fluid into something.

I know it's got to be disposed of in a specific way not just poured down the sink, don't worry I've got that bit covered. I'm more concerned with how to get the fluid out in the first place. Is there a drain in the bottom perhaps? I'm out of town at the moment so I can't nip down and check it out sadly.

It's one like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155027302800?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1lPdmTuqqQLiImwcib_VjLw92&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=155027302800&targetid=1647205088600&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046397&poi=1006965&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=aud-1641271186540:pla-1647205088600&abcId=9300866&merchantid=119360361&gclid=CjwKCAjws--ZBhAXEiwAv-RNLxJXDQ0B37UzzofQskz47jDNc-ohQC1djvnGR5HaS37Cr1i8Rsc2qBoClfwQAvD_BwE
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s

Mark Hammer

That's going to take at least $20 worth of baking soda to neutralize.  :icon_eek:

PRR

A MakerSpace *should* have the user-manuals on file; that should have a clue about draining it.

OIC. Mega thinks its customers don't need instructions. Their sales sheet  https://www.testprobes.nl/romex/documents/printfabrikage/Mega-Printfabrikage.pdf  shows a "turkey baster" or "syphon" with the products on page 10, also at page 48. I bet this is to suck the used crap out to a bucket (plastic!) or bottle.

I can imagine a shared resource having "dregs" (cigar butts etc) on the bottom so you want your old clothes and sturdy tarp handy to take the tank out of the rack/shelf to invert it into a tub and rinse a bit.

• SUPPORTER

anotherjim

Not etched anything for decades, but didn't the old "etch in a bag" products come with a neutralizer that turned the used etchant into a disposable block of resin?

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Widows

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Completely forgot about this thread, hence my absence until now.

Re neutralising: The fluid was old already and when I tried to etch a few boards in there the process took several hours for only a partial etch, so the fluid was pretty useless by this point as far as etching went.

I spoke to a few other folks who have these type of etch tanks and they said basically "pick the whole thing up and pour it into a bucket, then use a funnel to pour from the bucket into a sealable container."

Having spoken to the trustees of the space, they said to mark the sealable containers accordingly and store them. They will then take it to a proper disposal place.

After cleaning it out and putting some new mixture in there it's working a lot better.

Thanks again for your responses.

PS: I'd like to point out that:
1) none of this went down the sink/drain etc, all into containers.
2) the whole process was grim and I don't want to have to do it again in a hurry haha
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s