truly hairbrained wah musing and quest for knowledge and stuff

Started by pinkjimiphoton, October 05, 2022, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234122035267?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=234122035267&targetid=1262779895169&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9003243&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1262779895169&abcId=9300678&merchantid=8288564

so i was looking at one of these ^^

Manufactured by CTS to their exacting standards. 250K balance / blend linear taper pot, with center detent. Split, knurled shaft. Includes washer and nut.

Sold individually
    Dual 250k Ohms
    Linear Taper
    Blend/balance function with center detent
    Threaded bushing is 3/8" tall
    3/8" bushing diameter
    Split, knurled solid brass shaft
    Comes with nut and washer

lemme try n steal a graphic

after thinking yet again of a way to tweak a wah to do volume as well... and i said to my self, self, ummm, like
if both sides of the pot are log, that means much of the action is gonna happen at 10% of the extremes of "left" and "right", right?
dig
so in that case, using a relatively simple true bypass with a 4pdt like i see out there, couldn't ya concievably be able to switch from a potentially useable range from wah'd on to bypassed being volume that would still work? maybe go up to a 1 meg pot, if necessary, the key i think would be to exploit that bottom 10% so you could get the volume reasonably silent, or add a fine trimmer to make it go off if neccessary in volume mode.
thinking that if ya did it on say, a crybaby, you could take advantage of the buffer even, and use it to give you an ACTIVE  volume mode, right? couple pulldowns in the circuit... it would always be on, but man, it would be nice to be able to use a crybaby for both functions.
i DID try messing with lifting the ground for the inductor and other dumb things in the past, with various results, none particularly ideal.
one of the crazier stunts was switching the pot completely with a switch like that, i mean the wah pot itself being swapped between wah and volume with the footswitch while simultaneously switching the inductor on and off... but could never get a useable taper for the wah and volume both, at least with one pot.
but a dually like this one, with the looooooooooooooooooooooooong ass johnson shaft part, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe just maybe might barely be able t'be adapted to the guts of a crybaby, and as muddy waters taught the blues bout lectricity, RG and Mr. Gagan have taught us that wah's will pretty much function with a variety of values and tapers in the filter section...

too many doobonet's this morning, or ... is any of this making sense?
postulating it could be done fairly easily, but alas, these days since my brief failed foray into capitalism, i just don't have the investment to buy frivolous parts like i used to, not complaining, but , basically too cheap to burn the 10 bux to f around and find out.

so asking for thoughts? pipe dream? or possible? what do you think?

curiouser and curiouser. ;)

oh, and i'd mean a log taper version, sorry i put the wrong link and graphic etc up. only half my coffee in me yet.

linear i know would work poorly. its all about that 10% going to ground, wired like a blend pot but not sharing any connections... so each half of the pot is going the opposite way in term of wiring, with the grounds on opposing sides... like, i mean just to be clear, pin 1 on the wah half, pin 3 on the volume half, etc...

more coffee... lol
llap
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

GGBB

It can be done for sure. Morley did it long ago (pre-led/ldr days) with a passive volume but that could easily be modified to active.

• SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

thanks gord! believe it or not, never saw that one before, thanks bro  8)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Rob Strand

In the (IIRC) 70's colorsound produced all sorts of wah variants.   There was a wah-fuzz-swell and a wah-swell.   Swell = volume pedal.   I think the wah was the inductored version.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.