Replacing internal dip switches with external toggles

Started by Onion Ring Modulator, November 20, 2022, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Ring Modulator

Hi there,

I bought this PCB some time ago and I've never started it because I can't get over having to deal with that many internal dip switches.

I have been trying to figure out how to replace them with external toggles, but I don't thin k such a toggle exists. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideas? Is it possible?

Thanks!

GibsonGM

You could do it, but I think you'd have a panel that looks a lot like the flight controls for the Lunar Excursion Module when you were done...  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Onion Ring Modulator

Quote from: GibsonGM on November 20, 2022, 10:30:52 AM
You could do it, but I think you'd have a panel that looks a lot like the flight controls for the Lunar Excursion Module when you were done...  :)

I guess looking at the schematic again, there would have to be a toggle for each individual dip, you couldn't replace them in pairs.  :icon_eek:

Oh well, I've had enough of Klons anyway.  ;D

anotherjim

Mount these so they are accessed from a cutout in an upper side corner of the enclosure. They kind of look like toggles - but small.

duck_arse

I rekon most of those dips could be replaced with single pole double throws. some would be centre off. you'd need to go thru each spot and work out if the dips are must have one or the other, or can have one, other, none. it's just a switch problem.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Vivek

I had been in touch with PCBGUITARMANIA

Told him that his design of Sansamp Character has too many DIP switches

Many of them redundant

And some allowing illegal configurations if set wrongly.

I'm sure even this circuit can be optimised to reduce number of DIP switches or external switches, and avoid illegal configurations to some extent

PRR

Quote from: Vivek on November 21, 2022, 10:56:09 AM...avoid illegal configurations to some extent

I don't see any probability of smoke. It may sound bad, but that may be good.

Inspiration can be sought from aircraft switch panels, especially now there are more simulated airplanes than real ones.

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Flight-Sim-Switch-Panel/
(The mechanicals-- you don't want his microprocessor flim-flam.)

Aircraft Spruce, an ancient resource for small airplane building, has enhanced for the 21st century with sim switches. (They may have real ones too? Their catalog is a real funhouse.) ("450 search results for "switch panel" ")

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/saitekswitchpanel.php
  • SUPPORTER