Mods for Mockman

Started by Domin, December 07, 2022, 03:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domin

Hi everyone!
Im trying to build Lm386 amp for that glam metal stuff etc and i was trying ROG Mockman but somehow i lack more controls...i tried to make Mockman into Rift Amplifications EL34 and it sounded great but i was wondering what else i could add besides gain control on Mockmans first part of opamp. Any suggestions? For clean tones i want just RA EL34 and for dirty i wanted Mockman before it. One idea is to add another cap on input and 500k resistor to add more bottom end to tone

antonis

Quote from: Domin on December 07, 2022, 03:35:06 AM
One idea is to add another cap on input and 500k resistor to add more bottom end to tone

Could you plz elaborate..??
(via a schematic, perhaps..)

P.S.
I'm not sure if there are audibly effective implementations in a circuit of 80dB gain..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Domin

Same as this but with 10n and 47n...it makes a lot of difference, it gets more woofy...
Im simply looking for this tone, clean and dirty too, but with just RA EL34 i cant get this clean tone and if i turn down gain on Mockman its still too much dirty so i dont know...maybe you can recommend something different for that type of tone
https://youtu.be/Ghd2bkIadG4

Elijah-Baley

The Mockman is pretty dirty circuit. I see a trimmer in the first feedback loop, that helps a bit. But you could try a pot in front, too, like a pre gain control.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

antonis

Of course you can try it..
(but, IMHO, JFET input op-amps don't sound exactly like BJT CE amps..)

P.S.
Catalinbread input configuration forms a rather complex HPF, which might be OK there but it should affect IC1A gain..
I'd try it under some modofications, like 50k trimmer instead of 500k and 500k gain pot instead of 1M..

Of course, it strongly depends on the trim+cap connection to the original circuit..
(i.e. trim+cap across 10nF input cap or across 10nF+10k..??)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Domin

I think pregain and loop gain control is too much...
I dont have now any JFET input opamps so im using LM358.
Ill try to put smaller trimpot there and i see :)

antonis

Quote from: Domin on December 07, 2022, 04:38:52 AM

Just for good design practice, I'd lower R1/R6 resistor values down to 22k or so..

Domin

Ill try it, but im low on 22k resistors, i need to buy new ones.
I tried now with 50k as that tonecontrol but it doesnt sound right, but with just 10n its great sound so probably ill leave out that pot

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: Domin on December 07, 2022, 04:38:52 AM
I think pregain and loop gain control is too much...
Ill try to put smaller trimpot there and i see :)

Two gain controls could be too much, indeed, but this is what I did: https://soundcloud.com/elijah-baley-pedali-artigianali/mockman-30-all
But my version has a bit of hard clipping. And the Pre Gain has a kind of treble bleed to avoid dully sound.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Domin

"Two gain controls could be too much, indeed, but this is what I did: https://soundcloud.com/elijah-baley-pedali-artigianali/mockman-30-all
But my version has a bit of hard clipping. And the Pre Gain has a kind of treble bleed to avoid dully sound."
And do you have schematic for it?

Vivek

I spent 2 years analysing Rockman

I can tell you that Mockman is not related, connected, associated with Rockman at all !

Sure it will distort !

But is it somewhat similar to Rockman ? No !

I had written an article on the differences

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=126904.msg1215014#msg1215014

Domin

I was thinking about adding those filters from original too