Building the Apostle, rotary switch question.

Started by eh la bas ma, January 21, 2023, 09:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

Hello,

I am trying to build this circuit and i ran into some minor issues.

https://kurtballou.com/docs/N.E.W.%20Apostle%20Build%20guide.pdf

I understood from comments online (GCI Facebook group) that there is a mistake at C2, correct value is 68n, I hope i am not mistaking.

There are four 100p caps on this build (C34, 35, 38, 39), I lost a 100p ceramic cap, and all i have for replacement is 120p. I wonder if I can use the 120p instead and where would be the best location.
I also have 47p caps, would it be better to solder 2 of them in parallel to get an approximation of 100p ?

It would have been useful to have some tips about how to install the FAC switch and how to set the trimmers, included in the instructions.

I have a rotary switch with 12 poles, and I am not sure how to solder the caps on it. Is it as simple as soldering the first cap between pole 1 and 2 and so on ? Then both FAC pcb's pads wired to the rotary switch, on the two middle terminals ?

Should i rather solder only 1 leg of each cap on the 6 first terminals, and then connect all the remaining legs with a jumper ? Connect the jumper to one pcb' FAC pad, and only one switch's middle terminal to the other pad ?

Thanks for your help !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

idy

The rotary: they have 12 terminals that are numbered 1-12, and another terminal which may have a lettered. The ones I have use the same chassis for 2 pole 6 throw and 4 pole 3 throw, so It can have one terminal (A), two terminals (A, B) three (ABC) or four  (ABCD). Yours may or may not be labeled.

You will put one end of each cap on number 1-12 (or however many you want.)
The other end of each cap will go all together, and from there to one pad on the PCB.
The "lettered" terminal will go to the other pad of the pcb.

If you don't use all the throws on the switch (say you only "need" 10) you can use the extra terminal (11 or 12) as a convenient place to solder the "commons" of each cap. You then need to use a "stopper" washer to keep the switch from "going to 11."

eh la bas ma

Thank you very much !

I managed to finish this build and it worked the first time I tried.

I used 1n, 4.7n, 10n, 22n, 47n and 68n as values for the Bass cut rotary switch.

...now i just need to fine tune these four 5457 transitors between 16 and 18 V.

I'll set them all at 16.50 V, and start increasing each of them while listening to some guitar signal from a looper.

"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.